Author Topic: Clara Price - Missing records - birth record, marriage entry and 1881 census.  (Read 1792 times)

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Price - Missing records - birth record, marriage entry and 1881 census.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 January 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »

A James Wade of Leicester was transported for 14 years in 1849 (receiving stolen goods)

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Price - Missing records - birth record, marriage entry and 1881 census.
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 January 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Is this Mary the sister? If so do you have the Louisa underneath is it possible Clara's name was changed?

BROWN, MARY  ANN     MOULDING     
GRO Reference: 1854  D Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY  Volume 01B  Page 299

BROWN, LOUISA       MOULDING     
GRO Reference: 1859  M Quarter in ST GILES & ST GEORGE  Volume 01B  Page 381

Also: ARTHUR BROWN mmn MOULDING, Mar qtr 1857 St Giles.

I can't easily find these children elsewhere for elimination purposes.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 January 17 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all

The family highlighted by avm228 are the right family and the marriage found by jacquelineve is the right marriage also. 

It's a complicated family.  First child James was born out of Wedlock in 1841, although late baptism in 1846 lists James Wade as father.  James and Elizabeth married in 1845.  Then as noted James is tried and 'transported' in 1849.

By 1851, Elizabeth is with Benjamin Brown - again living in Leicester.  The 1861 census throws a curved ball as the family, as noted by avm228, are down as Wade rather than Brown, before then reverting to Brown for the next two census.

I cannot spot a marriage between Benjamin Brown and Elizabeth Wade (nee Moulding) although they live together as husband and wife until their workhouse deaths after 1881. (Can anyone spot one?).  So is Benjamin actually Benjamin or is it an alias for James Wade.....

The daughter Mary Brown marries Samuel Pawley and she routinely appears in the family records as a witness.

Anyway - back to Clara Brown.  Sadly still cannot find her birth record in either Sheffield or Leicester; nor her marriage entry to Fred Price in the parish records (presumably Benjamin Brown would be listed as her father?); nor can I find her 1881 census whilst her husband is in the workhouse.

Hope that helps clarify.

TB

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 January 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
This is my go-to site for checking Sheffield baptisms

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

but as you say, Clara doesn't appear to be there  :(

Have you found any actual transportation records for James. or any record of him turning up in the target country?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 January 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have records of him being transferred to Pentonville in 1849, and then a convict record as attached.

The convict record would appear to indicate a conditional pardon in 1856 and so Benjamin Brown is probably a different person on that basis.  And as Elizabeth was already married she could not legally marry Benjamin, hence no marriage being found.  I cannot find any other records for James Wade in Australia to help confirm what happened to him if he is my James.

I cannot discount that he came back as interestingly there is a James Wade in Leicester in 1881, profession a woolcomber, which was his profession in 1841, with no other census for that James before or after.  I got that James' assumed death certificate in Leicester from 1890 and he was described as a Labourer of Bradford.

Any other help appreciated.

TB

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
T.B
      Have you tried the Aust.newspapers?  google Trove Newspaper search.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Some baptisms:-

James Mouldy Wade - son of James, woolcomber, and Elizabeth of Oxford Street 7th Oct 1847, St Mary de Castro
Edward Mouldy Wade - son of James, woolcomber, and Elizabeth of Oxford Street 7th Oct 1847, St Mary de Castro

Caroline Wade - son of James and Elizabeth of Vine Yard, Watling Street, 2 Sep 1847, St Margaret
George Wade - son of James and Elizabeth of Gravel Street, 23 Dec 1849, St Margaret

Possible for Elizabeth - dau John and Sarah, of Greens Lane, 29th July 1817, St Mary de Castro

Possible James - son of William and Sarah, of Greens Lane, 19th Jan 1820, St Mary de Castro

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
More baptisms:-

Jane Price, dau of Frederick, Framework Knitter, and Clara of 35 George Street, 6 Dec 1880, Christ Church.
Frederick Price, son of Frederick, Framework Knitter, and Clara of 35 George Street, 6 Dec 1880, Christ Church.

Lily Price, dau of Frederick, Framework Knitter, and Clara of 1 Queen Mary Street, 13 Mar 1902, St Mark.
Percy Price, son of Frederick, Framework Knitter, and Clara of 1 Queen Mary Street, 13 Mar 1902, St Mark.

Marriage of Clara Price, of Fuller Street, dau of Frederick, dyer, to Frank Poole, on 24 Dec 1919, at All Saints.

David