Author Topic: HMS Barham  (Read 709 times)

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
HMS Barham
« on: Monday 16 January 17 05:23 GMT (UK) »
My mother and I recently came across an old photo.  It is of a young man in naval attire.  There is no indication of who he might be..  The only clue to his identity is an inscription on the back reading "1914 HMS Barham".   My grandfather was born in 1914. Is it at all possible that this could be him, being that he would have been only 14 years old?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Barham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 17 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

During WW2 all RN tallies were changed to HMS so the enemy would not know which ships were in port. So for  a sailor to have the name of a ship on his shows the photograph is from between the two wars.

You can download a summary of a ratings service record, including the names of his ships, for  a small fee. Post his name and someone will do a search for you.

Ken

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 17 06:08 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather's name was Jack Thomas Pearce (b 13 March 1900).  His father was, according to the 1901 census, a sailor.  His name was Thomas Henry Pearce (born around 1875).  Both father and son were born in Dover.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

Here's Jack joining in 1916 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6958752

I cannot find his father, but it seems Jack re-enlisted in 1919 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7060130

There are a few Thomas Henry's born in other places. So worth checking him in census etc.

Ken

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 17 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken :)
Could Jack have been wearing a uniform as young as 14?

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex