Author Topic: Help identifying a military uniform - probably pre WW1  (Read 1346 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help identifying a military uniform - probably pre WW1
« on: Monday 16 January 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I hope that someone can shed a light on an old family photo that has just shown up.

It's my great grandfather Thomas Guerin, and guessing he looks to be in his twenties, it must have been taken in the 1890s (he was born in 1872).

We've never heard of him being involved in the military and wonder whether this is a Yeomanry or Militia Uniform?

He was from Manchester, although there were strong family connections with Ireland and also with South Africa and what was called Mashonaland and then Rhodesia, so perhaps the uniform hails from there?

If anyone has any idea of
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a military uniform - probably pre WW1
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Could be Militia. Any connection to Lancashire?

Findmypast have 2-3 sheets of medical record for a soldier of that name. First sheet says he was in East Lancashire Regiment #1687. Probably enlisting 1885, aged 18 and born Ashton le Willows (now Ashton in Makerfield). It does not give battalion. Also, 4th (Militia) Battalion of the Liverpool Regiment #6877. The collar badge could be a Sphinx which would rule out these two regiments.

The other sheets are for a man on board ship, in Asia and ashore in Ireland serving full-time in the 1880s and 1890s. Unfortunately it does not state a number. It may be for two different men.

I cannot say I have seen that cloth he has on his left shoulder before.

Ken

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 17 12:18 GMT (UK) »
The uniform looks identical (sans the flap) to that of the soldiers wearing a uniform on this site:

http://boredhistorian.blogspot.nl/2013/08/george-bone-and-british-army-1889-1899.html

Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, is that a "Sphinx" on the collar? (as per Ken's Lancashire connection question)

Frank.

Added: My apologies Ken, I see you mentioned the Sphinx.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Post 1881, relevant regiments Manchester, Dorsetshire, Gloucester and South Wales Borderers. So, as he was from Manchester, most likely Manchester Regiment.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I cannot say I have seen that cloth he has on his left shoulder before.

Presumably its purpose was to protect the condition of the white leather equipment straps when marching with a shouldered rifle. Philip Warner's "Army Life in the 1890's" shows on page 46 a similarly equipped soldier of the 2nd East Lancs ( but with different collar & cuffs).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Post deleted
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of your replies.

He was living in Lancashire, but the Thomas Guerin in the military records that you mention was a Labourer, and my Thomas Guerin was actually quite wealthy - through as the second son in a very well off family.

I only have a very low resolution photograph of the original - though I hope in a few weeks to have the original and be able to scan it at something a little better for forensic repair.

I've attached a close up of his collar with as much detail as I can muster from what I have. I've plopped an image of a sphinx badge beside it, and they could match up.

If he's not on findmypast's list of soldiers, could he be a cadet of some sort? He may well have been in the army, but it can't have been for long, as he was running the business by 1902.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
I think this pic. dates to the mid 1890's and either way, and as suggested he may have been in a VB. So, wouldn't preclude him from being in business in 1902.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.