Author Topic: Soldier Death 1918 in Portsmouth Help Please.  (Read 2661 times)

Offline angied013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier Death 1918 in Portsmouth Help Please.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information I have uploaded more info to ancestry

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I'll try and get and look through the rest of July and up to the 3rd of August in the Newspapers later in the week.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline angied013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Having had his throat/neck slit, presumably Murdered as there was an Inquest and Court of Inquiry.
Could be murder, but could also be an accident or suicide - all would result in an inquest etc.

A murder would be more likely to be printed in a wider range of papers and hence it should be easier to find a report, so other reasons might be a little more likely. Odd that it hasn't turned up in the local paper within a month of the death - the inquest took place with a day or two of the death.

One page of his record could read that his wound was 'by wire' - running/riding into a throat high wire, high tension wire snapping and whipping around???  Or a garrotte!
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Having had his throat/neck slit, presumably Murdered as there was an Inquest and Court of Inquiry.
Could be murder, but could also be an accident or suicide - all would result in an inquest etc.

A murder would be more likely to be printed in a wider range of papers and hence it should be easier to find a report, so other reasons might be a little more likely. Odd that it hasn't turned up in the local paper within a month of the death - the inquest took place with a day or two of the death.

One page of his record could read that his wound was 'by wire' - running/riding into a throat high wire, high tension wire snapping and whipping around???  Or a garrotte!
I'm sorry have I missed something? You say the Inquest was held a day or two after his death. How do you know? If it is correct I've either missed it in my two hours going through the newspapers this morning and will be wasting my time returning to look further.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline angied013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I have found some information while searching the internet:

GUNNER DREW ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY 1918
Name: Drew  Initial: G
Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery
Date of Death: 19/06/1918
Service No: 286891
Additional Information: Born at Watton. Son of George and Henrietta Drew; husband of Jessie Wilkins (formerly Drew), of 65 Cowper Street, Bootle.
Grave/Memorial Service Reference: C. 5. Cemetery: WATTON (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD

The only George Drew recorded in April to June 1918 quarter is a George Drew, aged 53. This death was registered in Portsmouth District.

The 36 year old George Drew, born Watton, Norfolk and single, is recorded in barracks at Seaforth, West Liverpool where he is a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery on the 1901 census.

He doesn't appear on the 1891 census

On the 1881 census, aged 17, he is recorded as an Agricultural Labourer living in Merton Road, Watton. This is the household of his parents, George aged 40 and a Groom from Swaffham and Henrietta aged 40 from Merton. Their other children are:
William aged 15 born Watton (Groom)
Albert aged 12 born Watton
Eliza aged 9 born Watton
Thomas James aged 6 born Watton
They had another daughter  Minnie born later

I can't find any information on an inquest so any other information you can find I would be most grateful for.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »

I'm sorry have I missed something? You say the Inquest was held a day or two after his death. How do you know? If it is correct I've either missed it in my two hours going through the newspapers this morning and will be wasting my time returning to look further.

Hope you can find it Antiquesam later in the week on your next visit
My quote from his Army record typed Memo dated 03/08/1918 states Major attended Inquest.
 So Inquest must have been between 19/06/1918 and 03/08/1918 
   Good Luck.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 January 17 14:28 GMT (UK) »
His Army Records have a page dated 03/08/1918 from CO Fort Brockhurst to RGA records Dover stating:-  "Newspaper cutting herewith.  On 22/08/1918 4 copies of report of Major JSS wbo attended the inquest were forwarded to SectionIIm Portsmouth and a statement of circumstances
.... Of her husbands death."

It actually says
On 22/6/18 4 copies of the report of Major J.S.S....

So the inquest was done and dusted by 22 June

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 January 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Ooooops
Mistype on my part obviously before 3rd Aug 1918
I should have gone to Specsavers and checked post before posting.

Sorry Folks.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY