Author Topic: Mark Usher Lownds - Sunderland  (Read 3026 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Usher Lownds - Sunderland
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Just for more information:
Hannah Mary Lowndes, female, baptised : 16th August 1861 at  Bishop-Wearmouth, Durham, England
Father   John Lowndes   Mother  Mary
FHL Film Number:   1482466

Offline RPLownds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 January 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chempat - struggling to find her after Mark Usher Lownds is born - may have married - ive ordered his birth certificate

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 January 17 01:08 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I think as Hannah is Hannah Mary she might have married Michael USHER in 1885 as Mary,

Mary LOWNDS    Mar Q 1885 Sunderland    10a  585
Mary Jane ROBSON
Robert BOWNESS 
Michael USHER

(Robert BOWNESS can be found on future censuses with a Mary Jane)

In the censuses "Mary" is now Hannah.

1891  RG12/4143  f.60  p.44  Sunderland  Durham
New Grey Street

USHER
Michael    Head  M    29    Fireman Seagoing    Durham Sunderland   
Hannah    Wife   M    28                                              "            "
John         Son            5                                               "            "
Ethel        Daur           2                                               "            "
Mary E     Daur            9months                                  "            "

1901  RG13/4713  f.32  p.56
94 Tees Street

USHER
Michael    Head  M    42    Fireman     Durham Sunderland   
Hannah    Wife   M    39                              "            "
John R     Son           15                              "            "
Edith        Daur         10                               "            "
Michael      Son          8                               "            "
Alice         Daur          5                               "            "
Frederick     Son       10mths                       "            "

Still living in Sunderland in 1911.

Deaths

Hannah M USHER    Sep Q 1935    Sunderland    10a  560

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette 25 September 1935
USHER - At 3 Hendon Street on September 22 aged 74, Hannah Mary the beloved wife of Michael USHER. To be interred at Bishopwearmouth on Thursday: cortege leaving residence at 1.45. Service at home 1.30. Deeply mourned.

Michael USHER    Dec Q  1936    Sunderland    10a  559

If Mark Usher LOWNDS is their son maybe Michael was at sea when he was born and they couldn't get married in time? I wonder if Mark ever went to live with them between the censuses?

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline RPLownds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy

This is great information thank you. In the 1891 census Mark Usher Lownds is down as the son of Mary Lownds, 51, who is Hannah's mother. He is then down in the 1901 census as Mary's grandson. There is no indication he lived with Hannah. He then ceases to use the name Usher at some point in time. The birth certifcate has no fathers name & a Mary Lownds down as the mother, I have presumed this was Hannah's mother trying to spare the shame of her daughter having a child out of wedlock. Which was frowned upon at that time. However maybe it was Hannah. It's all a little odd. I am also trying to track down the family of Mary Lownds mother, she was a Mary Mc Grath & married to a John Roberts, he was born 1803 in yorshire & she was born around 1811 in Ireland. Would love to know where Mary McGrath was from

Offline gmbb58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello there... delighted to meet another Lownds family member!!!  My name is Gillian Barth.  My great grandfather Frederick George Lownds was Mark's brother and also son of John and Mary Roberts.  Other siblings (as you noted) were Hannah, John William, Frederick George (my great grandfather), Robert and Mark Usher Lownds.  I have info on most of them if you still haven't found it.  The challenge I am having is going further back in time (beyond John and his father William).

My great-grandfather Frederick had a daughter Florence who married a Brass from Sunderland and moved to Toronto, Canada in 1921.  My parents have done some research on the Lownds if it would be helpful.

Offline gmbb58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hannah had seven children with Michael Usher.  One of their children's name was Mark which may account for the comment above about being Mary's son and grandson...