Author Topic: FORTUNE  (Read 4053 times)

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
Re: FORTUNE
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 March 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone Thanks for all your input im still no further along
I cant find Georginas birth in 1843-44 in Edinburgh and still no sign of George and Grace her parents
I did find some later

GEORGINA MARGAR FORTUNE on scotlands people born much later but wondered what you all thought of maybe its margar not mercer but thats such a longshot and i cant find any earlier ones anyway lolz
Ive been thru english and irish marriages no sign there either
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-
,SIGGLEKOW/SCHWASS-Nelson NZ,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 March 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
"GEORGINA MARGAR FORTUNE"

I think most likely it's Margaret, just not enough room on the index?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 March 17 01:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie yes a very long shot lolz but im at clutching at straws stage haha
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng

Scotland Interests
 Canada ---MOLLARD-

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 March 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Found the following in the Aberdeen Herald and General Advertiser 5 Aug 1848

"We regret to learn that Mr Fortune, one of the assistant Inspectors of the Parish of St Nicholas has, in the discharge of his duties, fallen a victim to fever, which is at present raging so fearfully: he suffered very severely, and his death took place, we believe on Thursday. Although he had held the above office only for a very short period, he was much respected by all connected with the Board, as he was by all who knew him".

And in the Press and Journal 9 Aug 1848 there is a report from the  St Nicholas Parochial Board. " Mr Fortune, during the period he had been in service proved himself to be a conscientious, impartial, calm and judicious officer....He (the Chairman) would propose that  there would be put on the records an expression of regret for his sudden death: and also, that  they convey their regrets to his bereaved widow. The Board at the same time unanimously agreed to give a gratuity to Mrs Fortune".

The report of the above Parochial Board Meeting in the Aberdeen Herald 12 August 1848 indicates that he had only been in post for 9 months.

The above dates do seem to tie up with earlier posts by Forfarian and myself regarding the death of George Fortune. If correct I note the above reference to his "widow".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 March 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
William Hi :) and thank you very much for taking time to look for info
I will chase his death record up and see if i can get his widows name as being Grace as in daus marriage cert
Thank you again :)
Julez
Hi Julie

"We regret to learn that Mr Fortune, one of the assistant Inspectors of the Parish of St Nicholas has, in the discharge of his duties, fallen a victim to fever, which is at present raging so fearfully: he suffered very severely, and his death took place, we believe on Thursday. Although he had held the above office only for a very short period, he was much respected by all connected with the Board, as he was by all who knew him".

And in the Press and Journal 9 Aug 1848 there is a report from the  St Nicholas Parochial Board. " Mr Fortune, during the period he had been in service proved himself to be a conscientious, impartial, calm and judicious officer....He (the Chairman) would propose that  there would be put on the records an expression of regret for his sudden death: and also, that  they convey their regrets to his bereaved widow. The Board at the same time unanimously agreed to give a gratuity to Mrs Fortune".

The report of the above Parochial Board Meeting in the Aberdeen Herald 12 August 1848 indicates that he had only been in post for 9 months.

The above dates do seem to tie up with earlier posts by Forfarian and myself regarding the death of George Fortune. If correct I note the above reference to his "widow".

William
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng

Scotland Interests
 Canada ---MOLLARD-

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 30 March 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
Im not sure if its me tho but i have a terrible time searching scotlands people for entries
some days il search something and get results then another day il search the same entry and get very few
any advice gratefully received
William Hi :) and thank you very much for taking time to look for info
I will chase his death record up and see if i can get his widows name as being Grace as in daus marriage cert
Thank you again :)
Julez
Hi Julie

William
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng

Scotland Interests
 Canada ---MOLLARD-

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 March 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

The only thing I can suggest re SP is to look at their blog on what they have been working on in terms of known problems and, like a lot of sites, less is often best.

Anyway my suspicion is that you are not going to find a marriage for George Fortune or a baptism for Georgina from the available sources. I do think, as suggested earlier, that the will of John Fortune would be worth looking at as this would hopefully confirm that you have the correct family. The record that Forfarian found in Deceased Online would also be worth obtaining and, given the newspaper articles I posted, the Parochial Records in Aberdeed pointed out by Forfarian would be well worth pursuing.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)