Author Topic: 1792 - John ROBERT.... Fool of the wood!  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: 1792 - John ROBERT.... Fool of the wood!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Annie, CULLINS is also seen as CULLENS and CULLEN!

I understand that the spelling would differ but around the time of the marriage & birth the spelling is the same which can be quite unusual given the variants at later dates.

I am a descendant of the surname Cullen sometimes Cullinan & Culman (or similar) was another  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 07:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if it says foot rather than 'fool'?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
If you can find an old map of the area (I'm hopeless with maps) you may find there's a hill & a property at the foot of it?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 07:49 GMT (UK) »
The entry below David reads 'Thornhill' i.e. it's possible that John did live at the foot of Thornhill?

Would be interesting to see an old map! ?

Annie

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Annie, looks like 'Foot' on the 2nd one.... Looking at maps now!

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Maybe Callendar Wood?!  Only guess work though.

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Maybe Callendar Wood?!  Only guess work though.
bitzar.

I did find that on 'Go ogle' but that seems too recent & I can't navigate my way round the map page for OLD maps (for the era you need) unless I get a link then I can follow a map, finding it is a different story for me, need a satnav :-)

Here's a link which I can't work myself  :-[

http://maps.nls.uk/

Annie

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Annie

The 1583-1614 map is amazing.  Calendar Castle is shown with 'Woodend' at the eastern end of it!

The 1832 has Callendar Park and Thornhill shown.

And a lot of detail on the others, but I cant see anything relevant.  BUT, I learnt that 'The Battle of Falkirk, 1298' was fought right nearby Thornhill!

bitzar.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if it says foot rather than 'fool'?
I was just scrolling down to suggest that. 'Foot of the Wood' is a plausible description of where the parents lived.

Re-reading the baptism entry, I think it says that the witnesses were the Burgher Congr[egation].

There were umpteen splits and schisms of the presbyterian church in Scotland in the 18th century. In particular, in 1747 the Associate Session split over the issue of the Burgher Oath. This required anyone holding public office to uphold the prevailing religion. Those in favour of the oath became known as Burghers, and the opponents as Anti-Burghers. The Burghers split again in 1798. I won't bore you with all the details - if you are interested, search for 'anti-burgher' and you'll find plenty of information.

So it seems that your Robert(son)s were adherents of the Burgher Kirk rather than of the mainstream Church of Scotland. I speculate that David's baptism, not having taken place in the C of S, was not recorded at the time, so when it was brought to the attention of the C of S Session Clerk he decided to squeeze it in in its chronological place in his register.

It also tells you that David was baptised in the kirk itself. This is not something one can always assume because many children were baptised in their parents' home rather than actually in the kirk.

The baptisms of the other children are transcripts so I cant see the original wording.
You can, and really should, take a look at the originals on Scotland's People if you have not already done so. The transcriptions may be inaccurate (those of A******y are notoriously so) and the originals may contain other information, for example the names of witnesses or place of residence, or other clues such as 'Burgher Congr' in David's baptism record.

In the following record it names the father of the child as 'of Thornhill'. The use of the word 'of' in this context usually implies that whoever it was actually owned the named place, and it does not necessarily mean that he (it's almost always 'he') necessarily lived there.  Though as there is a Thornhill close by he probably did.

Digression - when I was new to all this I came across one 'Alexander Leslie of Balnageith in Burncrooks' having children baptised in Rothes. I hunted for ages for a place called 'Balnageith in Burncrooks'. Eventually it dawned on me that he was 'Alexander Leslie of Balnageith' and he lived in Burncrooks. Balnageith is in the parish of Forres and Burncrooks was in the parish of Rothes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.