Author Topic: Old Stratford, Northamptonshire?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Stratford, Northamptonshire?
« on: Tuesday 17 January 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping that some locals may be able to help me with a bit of local geography?

I am looking for a baptism record for an Edward Brittin, who I believe to be born abt 1810. On the 1851 and 1861 census, his place of birth is given as Old Stratford, Northamptonshire.

I have searched parish records on Ancestry and the only possible I can find is a baptism in Stoney Stratford, Buckingham on 11 June 1810 (parents Jacob Brittin and Ann).

I ignored this originally, but getting desperate, I've been doing a bit of googling and it appears Old Stratford may have been part of Stoney Stratford in the past?
Could Buckinghamshire/ Northamptonshire have had different borders in 1810?

Grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Old Stratford, Northamptonshire?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi bear cub

Yes the borders were different. Old Stratford was part of Northamptonshire. I think parts of Stony Stratford were also at one time.

Online PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Old Stratford still is in Northants. The River Ouse forms the county boundary. Confusingly, it enjoys a Milton Keynes address and postcode!

But genealogically, people never took any notice of county boundaries, and Stony Stratford is the next door parish. And there is no suitable baptism anywhere in Northamptonshire. I think you have found your Edward in Stony, already!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks both,

I originally ignored that record because I didn't realise Bucks and Northants were so close! My geography needs some work.  ;) It was only because they both had Stratford in the name that made me think again..

I'm more reassured now.

Thanks!

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
What is significant is that Old Stratford was not a parish at that time.  It only became a parish in 1951. Prior to that it was part of the old parish of Passenham.  It was always regarded as a suburb of Stony Stratford and so a baptism there is very likely.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! It was on the 1851 and 1861 census that he had declared his place of birth as Old Stratford, Northamptonshire? At least that is what I believe it says. (The Ancestry transcriber has actually put Oldhampton, Northamptonshire, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't say that).

My only worry now is that my Edward moved to Clerkenwell, London (I have his marriage record and have found him on census' in 1851 and 1861), but whilst searching for his death record, I have found a couple of death records for Edward Brittin's back in Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire. So, the one in the baptism record may have stayed and subsequently died there....?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I've found people from Stony Stratford also using Cosgrove parish church.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I tried there (there are some good on-line records), but no joy unfortunately.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Might this be worth looking in to, if not already ...

Edward Brittin of Stony Stratford = Elizabeth Johnson otp spinster  1800 Feb 25 Courtenhall by licence
(Northants Marriage Index)

The licence may be at NRO.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017