Author Topic: Haining, Lochmaben  (Read 1321 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Haining, Lochmaben
« on: Tuesday 17 January 17 10:01 GMT (UK) »

Would like any information on Mary Haining (MOFFAT) who died Lochmaben in 1867.

I have her death entry saying she was a widow to a Joseph HAINING (shoemaker). They had a son George (informant on death certificate).

Any information would be very much appreciated.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haining, Lochmaben
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I cannot see any Hainings in Lochmaben in the immediate censuses and note that in the deaths index on SP, looking at deaths in Lochmaben of Mary's in 1867, the only match seems to be with a Mary Moffat and Mary Fleming (Ref 840/5) age 63.

Do you have any other details about Mary - eg names of parents from death cert?

As an aside, having Moffats in my tree from co Durham, I have found it a tricky surname to research as there seem to be so many variations of its spelling.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:31 GMT (UK) »

I am having problems finding Mary's parents who were William MOFFAT (blacksmith) & Christian FRASER death entries.

Scotlands People have Mary's death certificate Lochmaben  - widow to Joseph HAINING (shoemaker). Parents on her death cert are William Moffat & Christian MOFFAT (Fraser)

Mary's birth - February 2 1806 - Dumfries.

Can not find her marriage to Joseph or their death entries.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
 I have just looked at Mary's death entry and it maybe Henning and not Haining, writing not too clear.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked at Mary's death entry and it maybe Henning and not Haining, writing not too clear.

cupcake

The name appears to be Joseph Flemming and have found their marriage on 31 January 1830

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Birth in Dumfries - George Moffat Fleming 1 May 1830 - parents Joseph Fleming and Mary Moffat

1841 census - Glasgow Robertson St

Christain Moffat 64 manager
Mary Fleming35 draper
Isabella Morrison 30
Andrew Moffat 22
George Feming 12
William Fleming 10

1851 at same address
Mary 44 laundress
George 20 painter
William18 tin smith ( All born Dumfries)

1861 Mary lodger at 3 Eglington Street Glasgow

1871 in Lochmaben
George has been transcribed as Heming on one site- a painter b 1831 Dumfries.

Given no sign of Joseph suggests he may have died before the 1841 census.

Hope this helps.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
William

Thank you very much for this information. Yes, I am sure it will help.

Looks as if Joseph has died perhaps in England as I can not find his death on Scotlands People and now as you mention, he has died before 1841.

So, perhaps the family went to Glasgow - no mention of William on the 1841 census, perhaps he was out somewhere, I am all over the place trying to find my GGG Grandparents

cupcake

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Presumably that is Mary's mother, Christian, showing in the 1841 census (I typed it as transcribed ). I suspect that she died before the next census as Mary is at the same address in 1851 and while relationships are not shown in the 1841 census it is perhaps likely that Christian's  husband William was already deceased.

Death/burial records before 1855 in Scotland, and the start of civil registration, are few and far between and so it may be difficult to find any record of the deaths you are looking for. It is always worth checking the wills index on SP (just in case!) and the various gravestone sites.

William

PS Having looked at Mary's death cert which someone has attached to an ancy. tree her married surname certainly looks like Fleming to me.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think Christian is Mary's mother and would seem she had died between the 1841 and 1851 census.

I have found Mary's husband Joseph's death (shoemaker) who died in Annan on the 12th October 1832 age 28 yrs. just a year after their son William was born 7 Oct 1831. They were only married for two years and Mary was left to look after her two sons aged 2yrs & 1 year.

Perhaps Christian and her son Andrew, (Mary's young brother)  were in Glasgow and Mary went to stay there with her two boys. Wonder what Christian was doing as it states she was manager.

Though Joseph died in Annan his death is on his father's headstone, buried in Troqueer, Dumfries. There are no BMD's for Annan before 1855 - so it was lucky I found him in the Troqueer Graveyard MI's.

Yes, Mary's married name is FLEMING.

May have to go to the Mitchell Library, someday.

Thank you once again for all your help.

cupcake