Author Topic: Norwich Record Office Microfillm machines?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Norwich Record Office Microfillm machines?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Seeing as the fees pdf suggests you can print microfilm images for £1.80, I would go that route 1st as photographing microfilm reader screens is extremely hit or miss. They wouldn't offer the service if the output wasn't of a very high level.

The service is good but the problem is the quality of the microfilm images.  We've used both self service and "mail order" in the past.  They were very good with one Will via post which had to be printed twice per page, they only charged us the minimum fee because of the poor quality.  Most of the original Wills are in rolls and they are reluctant to allow you to see them even if the microfilm copy is virtually unreadable.

I agree with Dawn though re photographing microfilms and the problems with light.  I've done some in the past at LDS Family History Centres and its been a bit hit and miss.  Unfortunately with Wills it could be more tricky as you need all the text, I had problems just with parish registers and trying to get a good copy.  I know their copy charges are high but you will get the best copy they can produce off the film, something we've experienced in the past.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day