Author Topic: Norwich Record Office Microfillm machines?  (Read 2066 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norwich Record Office Microfillm machines?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 12:39 GMT (UK) »
The Fees pdf here - http://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/view/NCC098487 - does say you can take photographs of microfilms/fiche in the search room with a permit but somehow I doubt you would be allowed to use a tripod, from experience most insist on handheld photography only.

NRO are fine with tripods; their "rule" (in practise) is "don''t get in other people's way"

I wanted to photograph a 10' x 6' map they hold, to 300 DPI quality. They don't actually have a table that big!! I used a cantilever tripod (Benbo) with an added counterweight to get my camera over the desk, and took around 45 overlapping images of each quarter, which I later pieced together digitally. Moving/rearranging the map to bring each quadrant into range of my camera was done with the active and friendly assistance of the staff, and the whole capture process took me around  2 1/2 hours.

I attach a photograph of a trial/mockup of my approach.

NRO charge £1.80 per sheet for microfilm prints.  I suspect because its not used so much these days because of digital cameras and they have to pay for the upkeep of the equipment.  That level is becoming more common unfortunately from experience.

Ouch.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:21 GMT (UK) »
NRO are fine with tripods; their "rule" (in practise) is "don''t get in other people's way"

Interesting as I know some ROs won't allow it from past experience.  That said, if you can use a tripod you are probably going to spend less time photographing (in theory, although in practice just manage to get more items photographed in a day ;)) than if having to photograph handheld and having to check and retake if you wobble. ;D

Edit - don't know if you've any Wills from NRO but the condition of many isn't good, particularly early ones, so they don't microfilm very well.  Unfortunately found that quite a lot particularly with Consistory Court Wills, although the Archdeaconry Court ones have not been so bad.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »

Interesting as I know some ROs won't allow it from past experience.  That said, if you can use a tripod you are probably going to spend less time photographing (in theory, although in practice just manage to get more items photographed in a day ;)) than if having to photograph handheld and having to check and retake if you wobble. ;D

Edit - don't know if you've any Wills from NRO but the condition of many isn't good, particularly early ones, so they don't microfilm very well.  Unfortunately found that quite a lot particularly with Consistory Court Wills, although the Archdeaconry Court ones have not been so bad.

The ones on "norfolksources" are OK - are they different?

e.g. (huge link, sorry)

http://www.norfolksources.norfolk.gov.uk/DserveNS/dserve.exe?dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqIni=dserveProbate.ini&dsqApp=ArchiveNS&dsqCmd=ImageView.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqImage=Probate\Wills\GS_0167184\02407.jpg

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »

* what make/model/style of reader(s) do they have

I have used the readers at The Forum and they use the Solar 2000 (http://adem.co.uk/node/834), last time I was at the NRO they were using the same.
I have taken a photo using a hand held iPad and the results were ok.

* are these films these flat X/Y type or the roll type?

Roll type film, where it says ' Use microfilm MF 233', you will probably find that the Wills are now on  MF GS#xxxxxxxxx.

yokel

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »

* what make/model/style of reader(s) do they have

I have used the readers at The Forum and they use the Solar 2000 (http://adem.co.uk/node/834), last time I was at the NRO they were using the same.
I have taken a photo using a hand held iPad and the results were ok.

Excellent news!

* are these films these flat X/Y type or the roll type?

Roll type film, where it says ' Use microfilm MF 233', you will probably find that the Wills are now on  MF GS#xxxxxxxxx.

I'm sorry; I don't understand what "now on MF GS#xxxxxxxxx" means, which I'm guessing is down to my ignorance.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry; I don't understand what "now on MF GS#xxxxxxxxx" means

Sorry should have explained that.

I think that the old microfilms for Wills and Admons have been copied onto new new microfilm and have been re-numbered and now come under a new reference of GS# followed by a number.

There is a folder held at the RO which lists the ANF/ANW wills by year date (yours is  ANF will register 1783-1786) and then give you the GS# number for the film to search

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:26 GMT (UK) »
The ones on "norfolksources" are OK - are they different?

e.g. (huge link, sorry)

http://www.norfolksources.norfolk.gov.uk/DserveNS/dserve.exe?dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqIni=dserveProbate.ini&dsqApp=ArchiveNS&dsqCmd=ImageView.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqImage=Probate\Wills\GS_0167184\02407.jpg

BugBear

Yes those on Norfolk Sources are OK.  But we've found quite a few, particularly prior to the early 1700s which are not very good.  One from 1706 had to be printed twice for each page, one darker than the other, to have any chance of reading it.  Otherwise are very dark in places and too light in others.  Whether this was just the microfilming or is down to water damage/fading of the original document I don't know as haven't seen the originals.  It doesn't apply to all but just be aware.  The NCC Wills do appear to be worse than the Archdeaconry Courts.  It may be down to how they were originally stored prior to being deposited at the Record Office.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:26 GMT (UK) »

I think that the old microfilms for Wills and Admons have been copied onto new new microfilm and have been re-numbered and now come under a new reference of GS# followed by a number.

There is a folder held at the RO which lists the ANF/ANW wills by year date (yours is  ANF will register 1783-1786) and then give you the GS# number for the film to search

Ah - thank you.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Seeing as the fees pdf suggests you can print microfilm images for £1.80, I would go that route 1st as photographing microfilm reader screens is extremely hit or miss. They wouldn't offer the service if the output wasn't of a very high level.

Depending on the quality of the image on the film, the type of reader and the lighting in the room, you can get a very bright patch in the middle of the screen which is made worse with photography or the screen reflects an image of the surroundings and you get shadows.

Which ever way, I expect you will have to play with your camera images in a photo editing package when you get home to adjust the lighting/contast.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea