Author Topic: the bishop family from Norwich  (Read 1556 times)

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
the bishop family from Norwich
« on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I am stuck on finding out more about  Martha bishops grandparents , she married a William barber and Ive managed to find  her parents who were Thomas Bishop and Elizabeth sheppard. Quite a few years on ancestry have  her grandfather down as Simon Bishop and mother Elizabeth but there are no sources to validate the information

If anyone can help with this I would be very grateful

G

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: the bishop family from Norwich
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Could you give us some dates please?

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Would this be Martha's marriage? -

Martha Bishop
Marriage 1 May 1803
Marriage Place - Yarmouth, Norfolk
Spouse - William Barber

JJ

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for helping , yes the marriage of Martha bishop and William barber was 1803 in Great Yarmouth .  I think Martha must have come from Norwich her father was born 1744 and mother who ive only got down as Elizabeth was born around 1750'

Thanks again
G

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
From her age at burial Martha Bishop is shown to be born circa 1771 - the Martha bp.15/7/1771 Horstead, dau. of Thomas and Elizabeth, with Thomas Bishop marrying Elizabeth Sheppard 1/11/1770 St. George, Norwich - both shown as being from the parish of Catton.

However, my gut instinct is that this Martha is not 'yours' and that she's been 'chosen' because she is the only Martha Bishop said to have been born ca.1771 from records online.

There are likely burials for Thomas Bishop and his wife Elizabeth in Catton plus a Martha Bishop married a Thomas Pratt in Catton 29/4/1800.   Thomas and Martha Pratt are living in Sprowston in 1841, Thomas Pratt bur.21/9/1849 Catton and in 1851 widow Martha appears to be in hospital in St. Helen, Norwich, shown bc.1769 Horstead.   I think that the Martha Bishop baptised in Horstead 1771 is the one who married Thomas Pratt in Catton in 1800.

There are numerous Bishops in Yarmouth itself and although not coming up in online searches I feel sure that Martha belongs to one of these families and is not the Martha baptised in 1771 at Horstead.

I think this is a case of people assuming that as there is only one Martha Bishop baptism ca. 1771 in online records that it must be the one they want but I don't think it is.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible your Martha nee Bishop died after Hetty was born 1809 or before 1811/2
Transcription St Nicholas Great Yarmouth
William and Martha Barber, all give mother as nee Bishop
Sarah 1803
William 1805
Ann 1807
Hetty 1809

Then in 1812 William and Martha Barber nee Purdy
Susanna 1812                     father occupation Blacksmith
Mary Anne 1815.       

1841 census
William Barber 75  Whitesmith
Martha 65
James Adams 10  (this is their grandson, daughter Hetty married James Adams 21 April 1827)

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

Sorry was ignoring you I'm
Just trying to think it through I'll read your last comments again thanks for your help

G

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
This has totally thrown me Annette when I've looked back at my evidence I don't actually have a record of Mary Ann barber's birth details I think I must have assumed that her mums maiden name was bishop because I found Ann born 1807 in g y mother maiden name bishop father William barber . So do you think the Martha on the later census was a different Martha to bishop . My whole tree is wrong if this is the case
G

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth, since there is no marriage anywhere between a William Barber and a Martha Purdy, I would personally think that the name 'Purdy' is an error on the encumbents part and that both Susanna and Mary Anne belong to William Barber and Martha Bishop.

There are no likely burials for any other William and Martha in Gt. Yarmouth so I'm guessing that the whitesmith/blacksmith William is the same person.

So, in conclusion, whilst I think that a Martha Bishop was indeed the mother of Mary Anne, I just don't think that said Martha is the one born in Horstead since that one's parents were a Thomas and Elizabeth of Catton, who appear to die in Catton and said Martha Bishop appears to marry in Catton in 1800.

Therefore your whole tree would not be wrong, just the origins of the Martha Bishop who married William Barber.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk