Author Topic: Leicestershire Parish Records  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leicestershire Parish Records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 01:16 GMT (UK) »
My cup runneth over  ;D ;D ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Just an alert to newcomers to downloading wills etc., always check the next image by clicking the right arrow on the right of the screen even when the will (or document) seems complete.

There may be a codicil, or inventory or further information such as further details of executors (which may "prove" family links).

I check all the pages that follow until they change to a new name.

Cheers

Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Guy

So far I've only attacked the BMD elements and I may not have much to find in Wills etc because my forebears were mainly from Northants. However, I had a look and there doesn't seem to be any way to search Wills other than randomly opening digitised books then laboriously trawling through hundreds of pages of faint handwriting. Do you have some masterclass advice on how to do it better?

cheers
Tony

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
So far I've only attacked the BMD elements and I may not have much to find in Wills etc because my forebears were mainly from Northants. However, I had a look and there doesn't seem to be any way to search Wills other than randomly opening digitised books then laboriously trawling through hundreds of pages of faint handwriting.

There are both browse and search options for the Leicestershire Wills.  If you search Leicestershire in the A-Z of Record Sets its at the bottom of the list.

One thing I noticed is that not all the parish register entries on a page have been indexed.  I was looking for two marriages in 1755 and 1766 in Great Casterton (Rutland) which I know exist from the LRFHS transcripts but couldn't find them through the search function so searched on the year and parish and went browsing to find them.  I did noticed though that a couple of years are missing from the digitised registers for the parish unfortunately. :-\  Checked subsequent pages and it jumps a couple of years.

I cancelled my automatic renewal in October for FindMyPast (having been a subscriber since they first introduced subs and had previously used credits on 1837Online) because wasn't using the site sufficiently to justify renewal and was waiting for the Leicestershire & Rutland PRs to appear.  I did take up their £1 for 1 month offer at the end of December so will be making good use of it for the next couple of weeks. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
One thing I noticed is that not all the parish register entries on a page have been indexed.  I was looking for two marriages in 1755 and 1766 in Great Casterton (Rutland) which I know exist from the LRFHS transcripts but couldn't find them through the search function so searched on the year and parish and went browsing to find them. 

I've just had the opposite experience & found a baptism that wasn't recorded on either of my transcripts (one from LRFHS and the other from Leicestershire Parish Registers), nor on LDS.   I think I'm going to be on 'do not disturb' for quite some time  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Guy

So far I've only attacked the BMD elements and I may not have much to find in Wills etc because my forebears were mainly from Northants. However, I had a look and there doesn't seem to be any way to search Wills other than randomly opening digitised books then laboriously trawling through hundreds of pages of faint handwriting. Do you have some masterclass advice on how to do it better?

cheers
Tony

No because then you will all be using it and slowing the server down so I won't be able to get on.

Seriously though

I enter through the search box and type Leicestershire into the Records Set box then click on the filters I want to apply (everything other than the Soldiers died set. I then type Nottinghamshire and then Lincolnshire as my ancestors are in that diamond above Melton up to the top of the county at Bottesford so some sneak into the counties either side.)

That way it filters by just those record sets.
If you just want wills just click on the Wills filters

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guy. I'll try later

cheers
Tony

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 January 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Everyone seems as happy as I am. Slowly scrolling through my Gibbins and variations. Have 5 days of my $1 sub to go so not sure what I will do. Am trying to compile a family record to try and bring everyone together, at least past 1770. Phew a lot of fun and excitement.

And puzzles.

I saw an entry where I think the vicar/curate must have had his sisters and brothers mixed up. In Hallaton,  Edward Gibbins labourer married Thomasine Norfolke and (assumed) brother Henry married Ann Norfolke. Everything was going ok , recording baptisms to each couple until this

Now which way do I jump? I will assume the husband is correct and it should be Ann not Thomasine
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 January 17 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Everyone seems as happy as I am. Slowly scrolling through my Gibbins and variations. Have 5 days of my $1 sub to go so not sure what I will do. Am trying to compile a family record to try and bring everyone together, at least past 1770. Phew a lot of fun and excitement.

And puzzles.

I saw an entry where I think the vicar/curate must have had his sisters and brothers mixed up. In Hallaton,  Edward Gibbins labourer married Thomasine Norfolke and (assumed) brother Henry married Ann Norfolke. Everything was going ok , recording baptisms to each couple until this

Now which way do I jump? I will assume the husband is correct and it should be Ann not Thomasine

It is possible the vicar/curate made the mistake as you say.
There is a marriage (by Banns) of Henri Gibbins to Tomasine at the foot of the same page on October 28.
Possibly he remembered the name from the banns (jumping at straws here for a possible explanation)

Cheers
Guy