Author Topic: Location of Zand River Farm, near Bethlehem, Free State, in 1900?  (Read 7699 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Zand River Farm, near Bethlehem, Free State, in 1900?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 January 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Before we close on this subject, I just thought I should point out something that I think is remarkable. Bartholomew (Barty) Walsh was killed just two days before the end of the 19th century, with the Famine Queen (Victoria) still on the throne in England. Today, 117 years later, several of his nieces, including my mother, are thankfully still with us.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 January 17 06:44 GMT (UK) »

Have checked all the Boer memorials for British soldiers that have to date been transcribed and Bartholomew isn't amongst them.  But as said it is an ongoing task so if you want to you can check this site www.eggsa.org to see if he doesn't appear in the future.

Wonderful to have family still around, make good use of their knowledge of the family history before it's too late. ;)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Patkzn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
There was a farm named Zandrivier which was owned by a Mr. de Jongh in the late 1800's / early 1900's situated approximately 35kms from Bethlehem on the road to Bloemfontein.  The farm is now the site of a village called Paul Roux.
Lewis - Aberdeen, Scotland; Clarkson - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Medd - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Milner - Old Malton, Yorkshire; Nendick - Old Malton, Yorkshire

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer, the farm is by the town of Paul Roux, the town was only founded in 1909, so before then the nearest settlement to the farm was Bethlehem. The farm is linked to the sand river which is in the vicinity and must either border it or run through it.

This is a map from the demarcation board:
http://www.demarcation.org.za/index.php/downloads/statistics/free-state-5/fs192-2/9481-fs192-2011/file

I suspect that little if any of the farm remains. It looks like the town has taken over at least part if not all of it.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer, the farm is by the town of Paul Roux, the town was only founded in 1909, so before then the nearest settlement to the farm was Bethlehem. The farm is linked to the sand river which is in the vicinity and must either border it or run through it.

This is a map from the demarcation board:
http://www.demarcation.org.za/index.php/downloads/statistics/free-state-5/fs192-2/9481-fs192-2011/file

I suspect that little if any of the farm remains. It looks like the town has taken over at least part if not all of it.

I really must apologize for not having thanked you for this at the time, I was distracted. Much appreciated.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 05:09 GMT (UK) »
There was a farm named Zandrivier which was owned by a Mr. de Jongh in the late 1800's / early 1900's situated approximately 35kms from Bethlehem on the road to Bloemfontein.  The farm is now the site of a village called Paul Roux.

I really must apologize for not having thanked you for this at the time, I was distracted. Much appreciated.