Author Topic: New York  (Read 869 times)

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New York
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a friend coming to New York in April.  She said she will pick up a marriage certificate and a birth certificate for me if she has time.

James McKEOWN b. abt. 1824 Co. Down, Ireland went to New York at some stage.
Jane MILLS b. abt. 1829 Co. Monahan, Ireland.  Dau. of James MILLS and Jane ?

James McKEOWN (pronounced McKewan) married Jane MILLS in New York abt. 1849.  I'm not sure if city or state.

Am looking for this marriage.

Also looking for the birth of their 1st child, Sarah Jane McKEOWN apparently December 1850.

James and Jane had 2 other children in USA.  Sophia Mills McKEOWN b. abt. 1851 NY and James (junior) b. 1854 Boston.

The family departed New York 11 May 1855 aboard the "Ocean Steed"
Arrived Melbourne, Australia 25 August 1855

Looking for the birth of Sarah Jane in the hopes of getting the certificate but wouldn't mind confirming births of her siblings.

GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
FRIEZER / FRIESER in England, Indonesia and Netherlands
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset
JAMIESON / RENNIE or RANIE / EDMONDSON / CAMERON in Scotland
DOWNING / McKEOWN / MILLS / HANES and WYLIE in Ireland
McKEOWN in NY and Boston / RAPSEY in New Zealand
and many many more.  These are just the main ones

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New York
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
New York did not require vital registration until 1881.  Some localities started earlier, but not all did, so the records you seek may not exist or may only have been created as church records. 

I would recommend trying to find this family on the 1850 census, which is available on www.familysearch.org.

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shelly, but I've already looked.
There is stuff on familysearch that is submitted so no confirmation there.
My Aunt, now deceased, said she saw a cert for the birth of Sarah Jane...hence the Dec 1850.

GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 17 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shelly, but I've already looked.
There is stuff on familysearch that is submitted so no confirmation there.
My Aunt, now deceased, said she saw a cert for the birth of Sarah Jane...hence the Dec 1850.

The submitted LDS records (family trees) are now listed separately from the extracted records (vital records, census, etc.) so it would be worth checking the 1850 census for the family to see if you can find a more exact location than just 'New York.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 January 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you've already thought of trying the following, but I thought I'd ask...

Would you know James' occupation, please (around 1855)? Perhaps he may be found in a city directory in either Boston or somewhere in New York?  Was there ever any mention of siblings of either James or Jane?*  Was Jane her actual name or could it have been a nickname?  Did they follow the Irish naming pattern, which could lead to the names of their parents or possibly siblings?

*I've been researching on and off for many years (first starting while I was in college).  I thought an ancestor, for whatever reason, was an only child.  With the help of RootsChatters and someone from another site, it was determined that she had several sisters and possibly at least one brother (who died when young).  While I've never found her Irish grandparents, it did help with other records and details.  :)

PS  It has been mentioned previously in other non-RootsChat threads about McKeown/Mills, but in case you've not seen this record:
New York Passenger List
Caledonia arriving 16 June 1848 from Londonderry, James McKeown, age 23.
Of course, there's nothing to show that it isn't another James.  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 January 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
They should have been married by the 1850 census  ;) but mentioning it anyway...

1850 New York Ward 5, NY, NY
Jane Mills, age 21, born Ireland, no occupation written down
Living with the Beers family.

1850 New York Ward 5, NY, NY
James McKeon, age 21 (a little too young, I know), born Ireland, occupation: Baker?
Living with Knapp family and other bakers

Of course, they could have lived anywhere in New York or possibly lived elsewhere and only had a child born there.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

All I know for sure is that his occupation in Australia in 1861 was Restaurant Owner / Hotel Keeper.
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset