Author Topic: James Ti(y)ndal  (Read 763 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Ti(y)ndal
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I am looking for a possible birth for the above gentleman.
He died in 1824 on his burial record from attached I think it say's his age is 88 this may be wide of the mark. As some of the writing on the page I have is different and the 2 8s on his look different!!
He married Elizabeth Lyall in the same parish in 1790 I have banns their last child was born 1802 according to what I have managed to find out Elizabeth died 2 years after her husband on her death it say's that he was beadle of Careston kirk on his, it states kirk officer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Ti(y)ndal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I think it is 88, and the beadle means the same as the kirk officer.

But age 88 means he was born in 1735/6, if it's accurate, so was 54/55 when he married and 66/67 when the last child was born. Possible, but uncommon.

On the other hand, it could just be 38, I suppose. But if so, he wasn't old enough to marry in 1790.

Are you sure that Elizabeth's husband was this one? Could her husband have been a son with the same name, who succeeded his father as beadle/kirk officer?

Maybe the Kirk Session records, if they survive, might shed some more light?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Ti(y)ndal
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

I had thought of this but it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

tree stacks up children's death certs all state James Tyndall and Elizabeth Lyall

Once again
Thanks Forfarian

Yours Aye
BruceL