Author Topic: 1851 Census Address Dundee  (Read 710 times)

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Census Address Dundee
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Been trying to find out where the address on my great x 3 grandfather census record from 1841 was in the City of Dundee. I have tried library site but contact page doesn't seem to work.

1841 Census :  Address: Address: Quarry Mill Lane, Dundee
 Surname       First name(s)     Sex     Age       Occupation          Where Born          
  WEBSTER       William     M     50       Spinning Mill Operative        Angus           
Piece: SCT1841/301 Place: Liff & Benvie -Angus Enumeration District: 127
Civil Parish: Liff Dundee Lochee Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Liff Dundee Lochee
Folio: 5 Page: 21

Can anyone point me in right direction,
Regards
Mark W

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Address Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi do not know area at all, but name could have changed to Quarry Mill Road, Liff, Lochee, Forfarshire in 1851 Census?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
        Liff is a village four & a half miles north west of Dundee on a South facing slope two miles north of the River Tay.         In 2011, it's population was 568.       There was a Lunatic Asylum which was opened April 1820.       Not sure if the Asylum is still there.
Searching for Bap of Edward Worels born 1826 Hollingbourne, Kent

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
The asylum building still appears to be there:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=56.4835&lon=-3.0697&layers=1&right=BingHyb

A very detailed map here, though only a few streets are named and I can't see one called Quarry Mill:
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74426930

You would presume a road, or lane, called Quarry Mill might be near, or lead to, a Quarry or a Mill. There is Camperdown Quarry at Lochee, and a Quarry on the SW side of Liff. Just below the word Camperdown on the second map is "West Mill" - there are small roads around the area but they are not named.

I will keep looking ....  :)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
In case it helps, I have had a look at all the streets in that 1841 enumeration book on FreeCen.

Cricton (sic) St. or Mid St.; Church St.; Langland's Land (maybe a tenement on Church St.); Mid Rd.; Mill House St.; Campbell's Row (maybe part of North Rd.); North Rd.; Quarry Mill Rd.; Pitalpie Feus; Quarry Mill Lane.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 July 17 01:44 BST (UK) »
That should definitely help GR2.  ;D

Thank you for reminding me about freecen. I often get stuck looking for neighbouring streets in Scottish censuses because you can't view the neighbours on Ancestry, and you have to pay to view the census on SP. I didn't think to look at freecen, so that will come in very handy.  ;D