Author Topic: Cairns birth 1899.  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Cairns birth 1899.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 January 17 00:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a record of a Margaret Hinds  DOB 23-Oct-1868 in Craigtown More, Portrush
 Denomination: Presbyterian
Father:Thomas Hinds,railway labourer   Mother:   Anne Galt

Except that Margaret is supposed to have been born in Scotland, not Ireland?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 January 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I think that we have absolutely no idea where Margaret Hinds was born since the family have not been identified in any census records yet.

The best lead so far seems to the the 1905 birth for a John Cairnes in Coleraine, Co. Derry, Ireland that familyroutes found.

I can't find the family in 1901/1911 census in the area yet, nothing showing up under Kyle's Brae in the valuation revision books for the period.

In view of the location of the 1905 birth I keep coming back to a one local family but I want to check one or two more details before posting the names and information that I already had on them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 January 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of Mary Ann Hindes (1897) lists her father as John Hinds, labourer, and her residence as Cullyvenny (Macosquin Parish) just outside Coleraine. The witnesses were local men and probably not related to either bride or groom.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1897/10469/5812407.pdf

Mary Ann died after giving birth to twins in 1902 and had a daughter Margaret Ann (born 16 Mar.1900 according to school register but birth certificate 1 Apr.1899) but she married in 1931 and stayed in Ireland.

Now, to Thomas Hinds & Ann Gault (birth certificate of their daughter Margaret posted earlier)-

son born 1864
   https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03630/2340072.pdf
Mary born 1866
   https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03533/2300276.pdf
Eliza Jane born 1870 Scotland
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ89-J5D
Thomasina born 1872 in Scotland-
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQHG-7LX

Wonder if that Margaret Hinds didn't marry and go to U.S.-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KFWV-2W8

Offline mclaughlan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 January 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
The details seemed really promising with Margaret Ann born 16 Mar 1900   Such a shame about the further details not matching.  It is a mystery how I have never found any records of her living in Scotand except for details on her marriage certificate.    Many Thanks though. 
Cairns, McLaughlan, McDonald, Haggerty, Hynes,
McNeilly, Ferguson, Stewart.      Port Glasgow, Greenock, Ireland.

Offline mclaughlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 January 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know if records were held travelling from Ireland to Scotland between 1899 - 1921 if so could anybody recommend any sites i could search maybe May Cairns might show up travelling on one of the ships.  Many thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 January 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Ireland was part of U.K. so no records kept of people traveling from Ireland to England, Scotland or Wales.

Offline mclaughlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 January 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for letting me know.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 January 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »

If May McLAUGHLAN nee CAIRNS died leaving young children, who looked after them?.

Did Alexander McLAUGHLAN marry again?

CAIRNS relatives might have been around to assist?

Offline mclaughlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 January 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
May had 6 children  Lilly born 1921, Mary 1923, William 1924 all born in Port Glasgow Scotland.  Lilly for some reason unknown to the family lived in Scotland around 1927 May and Alexander moved to Birkenhead, Merseyside.  My mum Ruth born 1936, Patricia 1938 and Eileen 1940.  So in all 6 children with a 12 year gap.   ALexander died 1944 and May died 1950.  Alexander and May lived in Birkenhead until their respective deaths.  When May and Alexander died William took over the roll of the man of the house.  All records of any life events disappeared.  My mum never remembered any family interaction with any other relatives.