Author Topic: Church in Loanhead.  (Read 863 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Church in Loanhead.
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage in 1907. The bride`s residence was 21 Church Street Loanhead.
Marriage took place at 23 Church Street.

I found what may still  be these buildings , but 23 doesn`t look much like a Church,  however there is a large Church opposite.
https://goo.gl/maps/RiaK1uqMwgm

https://goo.gl/maps/5STULa51H5k

Would this have been the Church

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church in Loanhead.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage in 1907. The bride`s residence was 21 Church Street Loanhead.
Marriage took place at 23 Church Street.

It looks as if the bride was living at 23 Church Street*.  Scottish marriages were often performed in places other than churches.

* added -col 4 snip
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks   I`ve just realised her age was 21, not where she was living   ::)

I`ve never done a Scottish family before,  , with some of the family names it`s even worse than the  Jones`s back down here  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 17 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 January 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Probably not. Weddings in the church building were the exception rather than the rule until the late 19th century, and even in the 20th century it was common for them to be conducted elsewhere.

Traditionally, most wedding ceremonies were held in the bride's parents' home. If she had no parents living, or was married a long way from home, the wedding might be in the manse or in her employer's home. By the early 20th century weddings were often conducted in hotels, restaurants or in church or public halls.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 January 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I`ve never done a Scottish family before,  , with some of the family names it`s even worse than the  Jones`s back down here  ;)
At least the Scottish records, when you do get used to finding them, contain far more information than English/Welsh/Irish ones.

In particular the inclusion in birth certificates of the date and place of the parents' marriage, the inclusion in marriage certificates of the couple's mothers' maiden surnames, and the inclusion in death certificates of the full names, including mother's maiden surname, of the parents of the deceased, are a huge bonus for reasearchers.

And, of course, older certificates cost a fraction of what English ones cost.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.