Author Topic: James Mitchell born 1609 Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robert Mitchell circ 1809
    • View Profile
Re: James Mitchell born 1609 Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 January 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes..First..I should rephrase my being Descendant of James Mitchell 1584..second ..i am not asking about records of Elgin  in 1679 etc...its the James and Jonet and did they travell to Elgin and have son, James Mitchell born in Elgin 1609, He then moved to Brechin, that i am seeking answers for..Thirdly i am still trying to find out how Robert Mitchell 1809 got to Tasmania..I have him leaving the army 1861 on his discharge papers he is asking to go to Hobart town..I believe he went home to Edzell, about june 1861 (based on Census) and getting passport number..So from late 1861 till about 1864 he arrived in Tasmania then marrying Ann Crawford in 1866..

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 January 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Btw...your Robert son of David 1784-1864 is incorrect this was the son of Robert and lived his entire life in Blackford (Perth).

DonM is quite right - you appear to have the wrong Robert Mitchell identified as the father of your Robert Mitchell who emigrated to Tasmania.

The Robert Mitchell who appears in the 1861 census in Edzell with his second wife, Betty Lamond(t), your Robert Mitchell and his brother James, was born in about 1785 in Marykirk, Kincardineshire - the 1851 census for Robert and Betty confirms this birthplace, as does the 1841 census, where he is noted as being born outside Angus. He married Helen Christison on 6 Jun 1807 in Edzell. She must have died before 1830, as Robert marries his second wife, Betty Lamont, on 17 Dec 1830. Betty already had an illegitimate daughter, Jean/Jane Bard (born in 1817 in Edzell - her father is named as David Bard on the baptism record) - this is the same Jane Bard who is with the Mitchell family in the 1861 census in Edzell.

This Robert Mitchell died on 30 May 1865 in Edzell. On his death registration, his parents are identified as Robert Michell and Janet Taylor. There is a marriage of a Robert Mitchell and Janet Taylor in Marykirk, Kincardineshire on 8 Nov 1776 - there are only two baptisms shown for this couple in Marykirk, both on 7 Jun 1777, so presumably twins: Ann and Janet. However, the parish records for Marykirk are incomplete for this period, so any other baptisms appear to have gone unrecorded.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 January 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth.  I have Robert Mitchel born to David Mitchell and jean Myer at Montrose 1784..

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 January 17 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth.  I have Robert Mitchel born to David Mitchell and jean Myer at Montrose 1784..

Yes, I know - but the census evidence suggests that the Robert Mitchell who is married to Betty Lamond(t) in the 1861 census in Edzell isn't that Robert Mitchell who was born in Montrose - he appears to be Robert Mitchell, born in Marykirk, son of Robert Mitchell and Janet Taylor, according to his death registration (the death was registered by his son James and names Betty Lamond as his wife  - she died in 1864, the year before). James Mitchell died in 1888, and Robert Mitchell and Helen Christison are named on his death registration as his parents (his death was registered by his brother George).

So either the Robert Mitchell, aged 50, Chelsea Pensioner, who appears as the son of the above Robert Mitchell in the 1861 census isn't 'your' Robert Mitchell, or David Mitchell and Jean Myer aren't his grandparents - do you have compelling evidence to suggest that they are?

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 January 17 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again..There is a robert mitchel who married janet taylor in 1776 at marykirk..they had 2 daughters (Ann and Janet) born 1777.
Maybe ??? my Robert was maybe born in Marykirk to David and Jean but baptised in Montrose..
There is no Robert born to robert and janet in 1784 that I can find..???
Please, if you can set my search right it would be greatly appreciated.
I have robert mitchell ( my GG father coming from Edzell, Forfarshire ..born 1809)
His army records state the fact as well as saying coming to hobart town
He retired  after 25 years in the army in Feb 1861 , coming home to edzell, hence the 1861 census.. then getting a passport number
His death cert. from Tasmania does not state his parents unfortunately..
Thankyou for your anticipated help Ruth.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 January 17 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again..There is a robert mitchel who married janet taylor in 1776 at marykirk..they had 2 daughters (Ann and Janet) born 1777.
Maybe ??? my Robert was maybe born in Marykirk to David and Jean but baptised in Montrose..
There is no Robert born to robert and janet in 1784 that I can find..???

Indeed, as I said in a previous post, unfortunately the parish records for Marykirk from around 1779 onwards are incomplete, so if Robert Mitchel and Janet Taylor did have any more children - and they at least had Robert, if we are to believe the death registration - then it looks like their baptisms have gone unrecorded.

According to the baptism record for Ann and Janet that has survived, the family were from Luthermuir, which is a small village between Marykirk and Edzell. The 1841 census for Marykirk shows three male Mitchels - William, James and David - who are all of a suitable age to be potential children of Robert Mitchel and Janet Taylor (and therefore brothers of Robert). I would be tempted to see if any of them lived beyond 1855 and have a look at their death records to see who their parents were...

Ruth

Offline Mitch1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 January 17 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again..I have attached robert mitchell born 1784 to David and Jean a list of his siblings...All are baptised in Montrose, including Robert...There is another robert mitchell born in Maryton on Montrose a few months later but not to Robert and janet..

Offline lucyht

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 February 24 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Okay, so I notice that your post is from 2017(?) but just incase... Elgin Library, Moray now have a heritage section and are very helpful.  Good luck with your search.
Local Heritage Service
Elgin Library
Cooper Park
Elgin
IV30 1HS
01343 562639

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record, the Heritage Section in Elgin Library has been being helpful since at least 1984, because that's when I started to use them.

They have a database of Moray people at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp but it won't include anyone from Montrose, Edzell, Marykirk etc because none of those places are in Moray.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.