Author Topic: Help finding the correct man  (Read 732 times)

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding the correct man
« on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I am currently trying to find William Fenton born c1825 in Walkeringham, Nottinghamshire to Benjamin & Catherine Fenton. The problem I seem to have is there are 2 William Fenton's born around the same time in that village, and I want to make sure I have the correct one before I put  any details on my family tree, so it's who he married and children I'm looking for.

Many thanks

Jason

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding the correct man
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 17 00:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi

Luckily one of the marriages is online. I can see both William Fentons in the census. The one that married a SOPHIA BROWN in Lincolnshire is the son of ISAAC FENTON. This William is in Lincolnshire aged 26 (bn 1825 Walkeringham) with Sophia and two children. He married 1846: age on cert. 22.

There is another William FENTON married in Walkeringham on 2 Dec 1850 to a ANN WALKER. ( No fathers name listed on this transcript, just date and names of bride and groom). They appear in 1851 with Anns family. This William was 23 in the census born Walkeringham ~ presumably this is the one you want. I can't see any children born to this couple.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »

There is another William FENTON married in Walkeringham on 2 Dec 1850 to a ANN WALKER. ( No fathers name listed on this transcript, just date and names of bride and groom). They appear in 1851 with Anns family. This William was 23 in the census born Walkeringham ~ presumably this is the one you want. I can't see any children born to this couple.

claire

Hi,

I can check this marriage for you next time I'm in Nottingham Archives next week.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline willsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is on FREE REG.

William Fenton son of Benjamin, (labourer) married Anne Walker (minor) daughter of John, (blacksmith). 2nd December 1850, St Mary Magdalene, Walkeringham.

Witness' Mary Hudson and Henry Walker.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.UK

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks willsmum that save's me a job.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;