Author Topic: Missing Person Report! - Johanna Smyth, 1911 census  (Read 3371 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Person Report! - Johanna Smyth, 1911 census
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 January 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Trouble is that 'Johanna' could be listed as Hanna, etc. rather than Johanna  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 January 17 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Well, at least another one ruled out.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 January 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Not Johanna but Elizabeth Smyth 60, widow, born Wexford, 6 children and living in Murrintown,priest's housekeeper???
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Rathaspick/Murntown__Lower/692992/
Johanna age on her death cert in 1917 is 66. She had 6 children Peter Luke James Katherine Mary and Margaret
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 January 17 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Found this:  Ballymills Graig na Managh Carlow Co. Wexford
http://www.irelandlookup.com/1012353/Architects/Carlow/Daly_Molloy_Creative_Planning_And_Design/

Is this the one you discounted...I don't known why the address is Carlow and Wexford but it's right on the Carlow/Kilkenny border and only 5 or 6 miles from the Wexford border.The fact that Ballymill is in the address is interesting.

The one I was discounting is the Graigue on the Carlow/Laois border, not Graig na Managh. I searched specifically for "Ballymill House", so would not have found this Ballymills in Graig na Managh.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 January 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Not Johanna but Elizabeth Smyth 60, widow, born Wexford, 6 children and living in Murrintown,priest's housekeeper???
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Rathaspick/Murntown__Lower/692992/
Johanna age on her death cert in 1917 is 66. She had 6 children Peter Luke James Katherine Mary and Margaret

As you already pointed out, the problem with Elizabeth Smith as a a candidate is of course her name (not Johanna), and that there was an Elizabeth Smith or Smyth living locally in the Rathaspic area on the previous 1901 census. So, I would think not.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 January 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 January 17 18:27 GMT (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Rathaspick/Johnstown/1801762/

The other Elizabeth is 67 in 1901 so would be 77 in 1911 which is a big stretch from 60 especially if she's still working...but you're right of course, the name is wrong...it just was correct in every other respect.Maybe the priest only knew her as Mrs Smyth and got her name wrong when he was filling in the census...ha ha!

I've run out of ideas!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 January 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Rathaspick/Johnstown/1801762/

The other Elizabeth is 67 in 1901 so would be 77 in 1911 which is a big stretch from 60 especially if she's still working...but you're right of course, the name is wrong...it just was correct in every other respect.Maybe the priest only knew her as Mrs Smyth and got her name wrong when he was filling in the census...ha ha!

Those 1901 ages may not be very accurate - father would have been 17 when daughter born?

I've run out of ideas!

Well, I think there is progress! I now have a reasonable candidate for Luke Smyth in the 1911 census. As for Johanna, I think the most probable explanation is simply that she was not included in the census at all, for whatever reason. There also being the possibility that she was in one of the "lost" townlands mentioned by Sianann.