Author Topic: Same or different family!?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Same or different family!?
« on: Friday 20 January 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a couple Richard and Ann Lewis having children in Whitchurch Shropshire in 1781 and 1782, Elizabeth and Ann. There is also another or the same Richard and Ann having children baptised in Malpas, Cheshire (a few miles away). Thomas 1779, John 1782 and Jane 1784. There is a gap of just over 4 months between the two 1782 baptisms. You might expect there to be at least 9 months between each baptism. But it isnt impossible as they may have left one baptism longer after the child was born.
Im having trouble figuring out whos who! I am descended through Elizabeth Lewis born 1781 Whitchurch.

Help please!!
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Same or different family!?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 17 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Two things immediately come to mind:

First- can you find two marriages or two sets of deaths?
Second- perhaps trace all of the children and see if you can interlink the ones born in one place with ones born in the other, for example witnesses on marriage (especially if a witness is a married sister).

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 17 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I can only find one marriage for Richard and Ann in Malpas in 1775 (Anne's maiden name Phillips).
Their daughter Elizabeth married Thomas Huntbatch in 1818. None of the witnesses fit into the Lewis side.
I havent got one for Ann or the other possible siblings
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
One thing I've just realised is Elizabeth Lewis would have been about 37 when she married Thomas Huntbatch, which leaves me to wonder if she may have been married before. Their marriage record doesnt say if she was a widow or a spinster.
Thomas Huntbach was 8 years younger. Another person claims he was married before in 1815 to an Elizabeth Wrighton. This marriage record says hes widowed, so if he was married to Elizabeth Wrighton, he would have been married 3 times.

So many questions!!