Author Topic: How do I find my Uncle who died in Johannesburg?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Nip122

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I find my Uncle who died in Johannesburg?
« on: Friday 20 January 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
My uncle , Donald Hall died around 1975.  He was born in England, was in the RAF in WW2, farmed in Cornwall, UK, but then moved to SA in later life but I've no idea of an address apart from the location of Johannesburg.  I'm trying to obtain his RAF service records as part of the family history but need to prove that he has passed away so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find my Uncle who died in Johannesburg?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Any idea what work he did in South Africa and did he marry anyone?
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Nip122

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, he retired out there as far as we know.  We are pretty sure he didn't marry anyone  but he did live with someone, the name Dorothy Fleur is mentioned by my 91 year old mother but that may not be correct as her memory isn't the best these days!!

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »

I don't know that is the right one, as the marriage cert says he was born in South Africa not England.

How certain is it that he died here?
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 17 05:08 GMT (UK) »
What year was he born?

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 17 05:15 GMT (UK) »
I found this DOROTHY AMELIA   FLEURS   1916 on the https://www.identitynumber.org/death-notices-results.php?surname=FLEURS website. Unfortunately I dont have a subscription to see when she died and where. I found this Port Elizabeth, Tuesday, July 14, 1987 FUNERAL NOTICES FLEURS. Dorothy, passed away 2 years ago. Remembered by her husband Philip; Neil, Averil, Yvette and Nalen. Could this be the same Dorothy?

Offline Nip122

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes it very well could be her and the time frame is also correct as she died after Don.  He was born in 1922 and using the website you suggested, although I've had to pay for 30 days, i've found him so a massive thank you for your help although he died much later than we'd thought in 2004!!!

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I am glad I could help. I wonder if I could ask a favour seeing as you have a months subscription to Identitysearch. Could you look up these 2 people on the link and send it to me please? https://www.identitynumber.org/death-notices-results.php?surname=BESCOBY