Author Topic: Elusive Marriage of Arthur Foster and Hannah Maria Bristow, possibly Goole area.  (Read 2484 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Hi, I have started to look into the life of the husband of my Great aunt.

William Foster was born on the 18th of April 1905 in Rawcliffe near Goole, I know from family that he passed away in September 1971, I found his death registration and this confirmed his birth of 18th April 1905, this was also confirmed by his Baptism (Goole and Snaith Chapels) on the 10th of May 1905 which named his parents as Arthur Foster and Hannah Maria (I already had his fathers name from Williams marriage certificate to my great aunt).

I have Williams birth certificate which names his father as Arthur Foster and gives Hannah Maria's maiden name as Bristow, my problem is I cannot find a marriage of a Arthur Foster to a Hannah Maria Bristow, is anyone able to shed any light on it please.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post and as always my very best regards.

Frank,
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Marriage of Arthur Foster and Hannah Maria Bristow, possibly Goole area.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Hannah had been married before?

This marriage might fir?
June qtr 1893
Halifax Registration District     vol 9a, page 662

Foster, Arthur
+ and on the same page +
Broadbent, Hannah Maria
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Marriage of Arthur Foster and Hannah Maria Bristow, possibly Goole area.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
That couple, 1901 census:
Bolton Brow, Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire

Foster, Arthur  Head  M  29  Railway Goods Guard  b Sowerby Bridge
Foster, Hannah Maria  Wife  F  28  b Norland, Halifax
Foster, Albert  Son  M  3  b Sowerby Bridge

Does any of this fit with the 1911 census?

Scrub that! ;D Albert's mother's maiden name is Broadbent :-\
Back to the drawing board!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi KG, I cannot even find any of them on the 1911, no sign of William or his parents Arthur and Hanna Maria, I assumed that because it gives Williams mother as "Hannah Maria Foster, formerly Bristow" on Williams birth certificate that I should be looking for a marriage between Arthur Foster and a Hannah Maria Bristow?

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi have also been looking, do you know the death of Hannah M at all, because she could possibly be a young bride if she was the Hannah M Bristow b c 1890 in Goole 1901 census or is this too far fetched?
Keyboard86

EDIT IGNORE found her later still single
Back to drawing board!
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
1901 Bell lane Rawcliffe  has an Arthur Foster b1880 living next door to a Thomas Dennis and wife Mary.
On another census A William Bristow b1906 Rawcliffe is a visitor at the Dennis household.
No William Bristows registered in the Rawcliffe area 1905/6 .
The foster family are now living elsewhere.
Dont know if this helps but seems a bit coincidental.
Lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
An Arthur Foster b1879 Rawcliffe is boarding at Doncaster working as a maltster in 1911 unmarried
Lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
An Arthur Foster b1879 Rawcliffe is boarding at Doncaster working as a maltster in 1911 unmarried
Lee

Hi Lee, yes, I found him on the 1881, 1891 and the1901, same man, but as you say on the 1911 he's down as single, so, he either lied or he's the wrong Arthur.  :-\

Frank.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Just because they said they were married, doesn't mean it's true

What address is given on William's birth cert?