Author Topic: Elusive Marriage of Arthur Foster and Hannah Maria Bristow, possibly Goole area.  (Read 2488 times)

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Marriage of Arthur Foster and Hannah Maria Bristow, possibly Goole area.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hannah maria Bristow born 1883 baptised Aughton 1884 parents William and Harriet.
1891 Howden Hannah m Bristow b1884 Latham Yorkshire with Father William
1901 Hannah Bristoe servant york born 1885 Laythem Yorkshire
1911 Albert street Goole,Hannah Bristow Housekeeper b1882 Latham Yorkshire single
In household George Bristow aged 3.
Looking like no marriage
Lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Marriage of Arthur Foster and Hannah Maria Bristow, possibly Goole area.
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:37 GMT (UK) »
May be worth noting that Thomas Dennis' wife was born Mary Elizabeth Foster, and appears to be Arthur's sister

I think William Bristowe of 1911 is the same as William Foster, and in 1911 is with his paternal aunt. I suspect arthr and Hannah didn't marry, and Arthur's family are taking responsibility for him.  it could be possible for Hannah Maria b 1890 to be his mother

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Hannah m Bristow b1884 death Goole 1937
Lee

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Just because they said they were married, doesn't mean it's true

What address is given on William's birth cert?

When and where born:                                    18th April 1905 Rawcliffe
Name,surname and maiden surname of mother: Hannah Maria Foster, formerly Bristow.
Name, Description and residence of informant:   Hannah M Foster, Mother, Rawcliffe.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 January 17 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank.....this caught my eye except there is no William...
look for Arthur born 1872 living in Sowerby Bridge.

Edit...posted details of census in error.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 January 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Many, many thanks to you all for your input, I have to sign off now as I have an early start in the morning  ::)

I will continue tomorrow with my quest, many thanks once again and my best regards.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 January 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, looking at what has been found and discussed I am beginning to think that Arthur and Hannah Maria did not marry  :-\
The "Hanna M Bristow" found by Keyboard86, and born Goole 1890, turns out to be Hannah Mary so can most probably be discounted, I think that the William Bristow found by Lee on the last census and living in the Thomas Dennis household, is, as suggested by Mabel Bagshawe, William Foster, but listed as Bristow.

Thomas Dennis's wife was Mary Elizabeth Foster, (Arthur's sister) and at the time William Bristow / Foster was staying with them they had been married for 15 years and no children had been born.

I wonder if Thomas Dennis and his wife Mary Elizabeth nee Foster brought William up as there own child, its interesting to note that on the marriage certificate of William Foster and Ivy Harrison (my great aunt) that the only witnesses were my Grandmother, Mary Harrison and George Harrison, both siblings of Ivy.

I am continuing to follow leads kindly given by all of you but still no sign of a marriage between Arthur Foster and Hannah Maria Bristow  ::)

Frank.

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
  • Yorkshire born and bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
This could be Hannah's baptism

Yorkshire Baptisms Transcription

First name(s) Hannah Maria
Last name Bristow
Baptism year 1884
Baptism date 20 Jan 1884
Baptism place Aughton with East Cottingwith
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) William
Mother's first name(s) Harriet
County Yorkshire (East Riding)
Country England
Archive Borthwick Institute for Archives
Archive reference PR AUG 111
Page 77
Record set Yorkshire Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain
Personal family names: CONNELL (Leeds) RIMINGTON (Leeds, Skipton) RHODES (Leeds) PICKERSGILL (Kirklington, Masham, Leeds), DAWSON (Silsden, Bradford)
KNOWLSON (Thormanby) STURDY (Yorkshire) CARISS (Easingwold & Australia) RYMER (Easingwold) ASK(E) (Easingwold/York)

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Marriage
William Bristow to Harriet Nutbrown 1865 Bubwith.
Grooms father Thomas Bristow
Brides father john Nutbrown.
Lee