Author Topic: Robert Davies b 1802 in Bersham  (Read 1451 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Davies b 1802 in Bersham
« on: Saturday 21 January 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't seem to be able to go back any further than Robert Davies b 1802 in Bersham.    He married Mary Ann Colley in 1825 in Brymbo & she died in 1874 & he died in 1879 both in Brymbo.

I've had success finding Mary's ancestors but don't seem to be able to find any ancestors for Robert.

Can any one look up Bersham for me please & thank you.

Amberly

Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Davies b 1802 in Bersham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
One difficulty here is that Bersham did not become a Parish on its own until 1834.Until then it was a chapelry of the much larger Wrexham Parish.So you will be looking for Davies entries under the Wrexham Parish with the abode of Bersham.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Berse

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
There are two possibles in the Denbighshire Baptism Transcriptions.

Robert son of Hugh & Cath Davies Baptised 30 May 1801 Brymbo, father a labourer.

Robert son of William & Jane Davies Baptised 21 March 1802 I can't make out the place and the father is a Miner.

On the 1861 Census his DOB is 1802 and on the 1871 it's 1801, so it could be either of the above.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 17 14:11 GMT (UK) »

Robert son of William & Jane Davies Baptised 21 March 1802 I can't make out the place and the father is a Miner.

The first letter looks very much like the B in Brymbo (a few lines above) and I reckon it says Bersh.?  so very likely to be Bersham.  (Though the Bs do vary!)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all 3 of you for your replies.    I'm leaning towards the William & Jane because there aren't Hughs or Catherines in the family, but there are Williams & Janes.

Shall see where I go with that.

Thanks again,
Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I have had another look at the 1802 Baptism record for Robert and think Gadget is right it does look like Bersh, so you are probably wise in going with that Robert. :)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 January 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I've managed to find it too now & it does look like Bersham. 

Then I've found a Mary Davies b1806 dau of Wm & Jane, miner of Bersham.

Then I found on the 1851 census a Wm & Jane Davies lived Broughton, Brymbo.  Wm b 1783 labourer, not a miner, & Jane b 1781 in Corwen.   

What does anyone think of these, please??

This is not easy I must say!     Amberly

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 January 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Possible but you need more info. to be sure.

The problem to tracing them back is that the 1841 for Wrexham area is not available (destroyed/missing, etc).  Maybe look for marriages for a William and Jane in the broader area Corwen-Wrexham. Also look for more children of the couple and follow them for any links.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 January 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget for the info.   I'll see what I can do.  Amberly