Author Topic: William and Ellen (Ellie) Kelleher 1900 - 1920  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Crackle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Ellen (Ellie) Kelleher 1900 - 1920
« on: Saturday 21 January 17 11:55 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather William Kelleher (1864 - died approx 1918 in South Africa) was born in County Cork Ireland, as was his wife Ellen (possibly Ellie) Kelleher (birth date not known - died in South Africa approx 1905). They moved to South Africa with their two sons Robert Kelleher (born 1896) and Patrick Joseph Kelleher (born 1899).

The father and both sons served in the Anglo-Boer war. William Kelleher was in the 3rd SA Infantry as was his son Robert. Patrick Joseph Kelleher was in the 1st SA Infantry Brigade.

The two sons were encouraged to move to New Zealand in the early 1920's by their fathers brothers, who had immigrated there from Ireland previously.

I am looking for death records ie year of death, place of death, burial site for William Kelleher, who died approx 1918 and Ellen Kelleher, who died approx 1905.

I have been unable to find any records for either of their deaths. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Crackle

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William and Ellen (Ellie) Kelleher 1900 - 1920
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
This is Roberts birth record.
It was Mayfield area of Cork City.
Dalton was the mothers maiden name.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1896/02166/1820793.pdf
this site is free and quite easy to use.

this next record is Ellie and Robert in the 1901 Census of Ireland
It's free and easy to use
Cant see Patrick Joseph
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000557144/
house number 36 means the 36th house in the town, hard to pinpoint, BUT it was near to the Post Office. So if you ever go there you may be able to pinpoint the exact house.

Also
William and Ellen's marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1895/10539/5838900.pdf

Maggise

Offline Crackle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 17 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information Maggsie, it has been really helpful! That website is a great resource!

Do you know how I would go about searching for death records in South Africa between 1900-1920, if I do not not know the place of death? Who should I contact about trying to obtain death certificates?

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crackle I can find nothing in SA about the Kelleher family. I must point out that the South African infantry brigades were formed after Union in 1910. 1-4 South African infantry brigades were sent to fight in WW1 with the most important battle being Delville Wood. The South African 1st Infantry Brigade was an infantry brigade of the army of the Union of South Africa during World Wars I and II. During World War I, the Brigade served as a British formation in Egypt and on the Western Front, most famously the Battle of Delville Wood. It was reactivated at the start of the Second World War as a South African formation and served in East Africa and the Western Desert; the Brigade disbanded on 1 January 1943. It is possible William died in WW1?
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 17 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I searched Ancestry and found a few Kelleher deaths listed.
The one that might be yours is in familysearch.org
Put Kelleher and death place south Africa and you will get it, just done it.
The Mary that you see died in Australia was born in Canada.
I only have a few days left on Ancestry.
Maggsie

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 17 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I just went back to Ancestry and there is another record.
I will send a Private Message as I nee you email address.
Ok
Maggsie

Offline Crackle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 January 17 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you pampoen and Maggsie. The last record I have for William was on 9 April 1918 discharged from service at Durban, due to illness. I think awhile after that he died. He would have been 54 years old in 1918. Last known address was 12 Pretoria Street, Fairview, Johannesburg.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crackle there are 3 main places we search for records, one is NAAIRS, another is Familysearch and the third is EGGSA. Unfortunately his name and his wifes do not appear especially if there was no will or estate filed. Also it would appear they had little money and did not put a headstone up.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 17 10:55 GMT (UK) »
There is this website that has the following Kelleher names. You can pay a months subscription to view these files. These may be his grandchildren. https://www.identitynumber.org/death-notices-results.php?surname=KELLEHER