Author Topic: 6 generations alive at one time - can anyone equal this??  (Read 5813 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 6 generations alive at one time - can anyone equal this??
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm still waiting to have any grandchildren - chances of fitting in great grandchildren in my life time are getting rather slim ... :(

However - sister in law who is only two years older than me already has grand-daughter aged 16 (and 5 other grandchildren) so she could potentially become a great grandmother in the next, say, 10 years (maybe before I am even a grandmother) and then potentially a great-great-grandmother well within a reasonable lifetime.

I am a late baby of a late baby of a late baby.  I only knew one of my grandparents.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I am the youngest of the youngest of the youngest!

So as a child, my grandparents (only know 3 of the 4, and 2 of those 3 died in my childhood) were always "old" people, whereas my older siblings remembered going out and about and doing things with them, but I only remember their last few years as they went downhill.
Then as time passed, my siblings became parents, and I saw my parents enjoying doing things with their grandchildren by my siblings, but by the time I gave them any more my Mum was ill, and in fact died when my eldest was a baby and she never saw my youngest. So no fun family times for mine with their grandparents. Dad remarried, to an older lady too.
Now it is happening again with the next generation. As I said, my brother and sister in law have a 16 yr old, who is the oldest of the next generation down. My father, who lived to a ripe old age, saw 8 great grandchildren, but he died last year so will never see any from me. And any grandchildren I have will probably have me as their grandparent as an "old" lady.
Being the youngest (and especially the youngest of the youngest, meaning all cousins etc were a lot older) does have a knock on effect!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Majm has a relative aged 107 ???  That must be a record !!   
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 January 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm the eldest of my family (born 1959), and neither of my grown-up children, both in their 20s, appear likely to have children any time soon, so i have no chance of getting anywhere near the record 🙄
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 January 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I am the youngest of the youngest of the youngest!

So as a child, my grandparents (only know 3 of the 4, and 2 of those 3 died in my childhood) were always "old" people, whereas my older siblings remembered going out and about and doing things with them, but I only remember their last few years as they went downhill.
Then as time passed, my siblings became parents, and I saw my parents enjoying doing things with their grandchildren by my siblings, but by the time I gave them any more my Mum was ill, and in fact died when my eldest was a baby and she never saw my youngest. So no fun family times for mine with their grandparents. Dad remarried, to an older lady too.
Now it is happening again with the next generation. As I said, my brother and sister in law have a 16 yr old, who is the oldest of the next generation down. My father, who lived to a ripe old age, saw 8 great grandchildren, but he died last year so will never see any from me. And any grandchildren I have will probably have me as their grandparent as an "old" lady.
Being the youngest (and especially the youngest of the youngest, meaning all cousins etc were a lot older) does have a knock on effect!

I'd say it does have a knock on effect.  My Mum was 41 when I was born, her dad was 44 when she was born and his dad was 44 when he was born.  My grandfather's oldest sister's son was 35 years older than my mum and his son was 13 years older than her and therefore 54 years older than me even though he is the "same generation" as me.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 January 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Gosh this thread is making me realise how lucky I am to have known all four of my  Grandparents, I still have three left. My son has four Great Grandparents and briefly we had five generations until my Great Grandmother died aged 101.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 January 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Majm has a relative aged 107 ???  That must be a record !!
Not even in NSW

Young Rosina is 110/316 days as of 21/1. Misread 316 for 361:P
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 January 17 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I can't beat this but we did have five generations.

When I was a preschooler I was as proud as punch when my Nana's photo was in one of the local papers.  She was with her mother, granddaughter and baby great-granddaughter.   I'm not sure my uncle (the grandfather) was in the photo. 

I mentioned this memory to my mother recently and she remembers it as well. But we can't remember which paper it was in.  My parents used to get the afternoon paper and Nana got the morning paper, but there were others.  Whenever I'm there I try to scroll through some microfiches of local newspapers at the library, but I haven't found it yet.   It'll turn up sometime.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 January 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »

I'd say it does have a knock on effect.  My Mum was 41 when I was born, her dad was 44 when she was born and his dad was 44 when he was born.  My grandfather's oldest sister's son was 35 years older than my mum and his son was 13 years older than her and therefore 54 years older than me even though he is the "same generation" as me.

And it's people like you that can be very very useful for autosomal DNA testing.  My father has a gtgtgt-grandfather who was born about 1730.  He had a granddaughter born about 1805.  That's a LONG time ago for so few generations and may explain why it's not been so easy to find recognisable DNA matches up this line.

I'd like a relative born in the 1930s to test.  He's not very keen.  His grandmother was born in the 1850s and his grandfather was a decade older.  That's reaching back in time for over 160 years or more.

My late mother-in-law's father was 52 when she was born and he also was the youngest in his family, so there is a similar situation.  My husband has one living maternal aunt and one maternal uncle.  They're DNA time capsules.

I feel that DNA has turned the tables upsidedown a bit.  It's a good thing now to be the youngest of the youngest.