Author Topic: Lady of the Night Elizabeth A Hotton  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lady of the Night Elizabeth A Hotton
« on: Saturday 21 January 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, I have Elizabeth Ann Hotton marrying Robert Dutton in 1874 Falmouth, Cornwall, and they moved to Chester.  Elizabeth seems to have spent her life with her grandparents the Kent's - that's if I have the correct Elizabeth as there is another one who in the 1861 is a farm servant to a William Richards.  There is a newspaper article about Elizabeth A Hotton she had been in prison 3 times!  Should I send for their marriage certificate to make sure I have the right one?  Any help would be most appreciated.
Kind regards
Heather :)
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lady of the Night Elizabeth A Hotton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census has Elizabeth born c1846 in St Columb, Cornwall.
Husband Robert is also born c1846, but in Swansea, Glamorganshire.

The Elizabeth with the Kent family (1851, 1861) was born in St Austell.

An Elizabeth, born St Columb, is on the 1861 census as a Domestic Servant in St Dennis.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 17 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I note that there are two Elizabeth A Hottons born in Cornwall in 1846: Jan - March Saint Austell Mother's maiden name Kent and Jul - Sept Truro Mother's maiden name Williams.

Following on from KG's point about place of birth a transcript of Bodmin Gaol records for 1871 gives her age as 24 and Abode or place of birth St Columb, late Falmouth.

In the 1871 census the Elizabeth born St Columb seems to have been transcribed as Elizabeth A Hatten, her occupation given as prostitute (no euphamisms on this census page) Address Market Street ( Allens Yard) Falmouth. Again note an age discrepancy - here given as 23.

And to answer your original question I think I would obtain the marriage cert!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both I have sent for the marriage certificate and will let you know the results.

Kind regards
Heather
Warburton, Ackerley, Foxley, Gerrards, Buckley, Totty, Woodworth, Parkes, Bingley, Meredith, Gill, Royle all Cheshire, Pritchard,  Roberts, Caernarfonshire. Ingham, Roberts in Denbigh

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 January 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, I have received the marriage certificate married in the District of Falmouth. 18th April 1874 Robert Dutton 25 years bachelor occupation Mariner address Smithick Hill, Falmouth his father John Dutton Cabinet Maker.
Elizabeth Ann Hotton 26 years Spinster same address father William Hotton, Labourer. Witnesses were X Mary Sedgmond and X Fernado Clarke.

I have found that Smithick Hill isn't far from Market Street and Mary Sedgmond lived in Church Street which is also in the same area.  Robert's father when he came to live in Chester his name was Israel and became a pawnbroker.  Robert & Elizabeth have a rather large head stone in Overleigh Cemetery.  So I think that the birth certificate I should send for is the Elizabeth Ann Hotton 1846 3rd 1/2 Truro.  Do you agree before I part with my pennies.

Kind regards
Heather  :)

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
There's an Eliza Hotton/Hattan b c1845 in Truro with father William, a currier - 1861 address looks like Pyder St.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 17 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Heather. Thanks for keep in us up to speed.

The Eliza in 1861 can also be located in 1851 in Truro and seems to have an older sister called Elizabeth. Accordingly I do not think it is her.

Re the birth cert. to order I really do not know! Her age in the censuses does seem to vary but overall would tend to make me think the Truro one would be best.  However, given that she consistently gives St Columbs as her place of birth, the St Austell one would make sense. I think I am correct in saying that St Columbs would have been in St Austell RD but it might be worth checking.

I have tried to look for likely candidates for William Hotton and have not had much luck and have certainly come up short when trying to locate a marriage for him.

It is unfortunate that there is only one Elizabeth Hotton showing in 1851. Although the year and place of birth is different I have even wondered if the two recorded in 1861 are actually the same person (double entries do occur!). They are after all in the same geographical locality in St Dennis. Anyway just throwing an idea into the mix.

Sorry for sitting on the fence somewhat but whatever you decide good luck! Do keep us posted.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 17 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, I sent for the birth certificate Elizabeth Ann Hotton Vol 9 Page 309 on it says that her father was Thomas Hotton and mother Caroline formerly Williams all lived at Edward Street Truro.  His occupation was a Farmer. I don't think that's her because on the marriage certificate she says her father is William, but she could have lied.  So I have now sent for the other birth certificate and will let you know who the father is on there.  Wish me luck.
Kind regards
Heather :)

Offline Heather58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Update, I received the 2nd Birth cert for Elizabeth Ann Hotton 25th January 1846 Mount Charles, St Austell, Father James Hotton, Elizabeth Hotton formerly Kent Labourer. X The mark of James Hotton, father of Mount Charles, St Austell registered on the 19th February 1846.
So if this is the Elizabeth who married Robert Dutton in 1874 why did she put William Hotton down as her dad?  I see in the 1851 and 1861 there is Elizabeth Ann Hotton, granddaughter of William Kent.  Is there a 3rd Elizabeth Ann Hotton I am missing?

open to any suggestions - thank you in anticipation
Kind regards
Heather
 :)