Author Topic: Chambers, Joseph, ca 1745-ca 1801, Minister of Castledawson Presbyterian Church.  (Read 2772 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers, Joseph, ca 1745-ca 1801, Minister of Castledawson Presbyterian Church.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
John, a 26yr old son of David Chambers, died in 1825, whilst his eldest daughter, Elizabeth, married in 1834.

Death notice In 1848

At Sydney, New South Wales, David Chambers, sen., Esq., late of Magherafelt, county Londonderry, very eminent solicitor,

and in 1847, he was noted as being in Macquarie Street, Sydney.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers, Joseph, ca 1745-ca 1801, Minister of Castledawson Presbyterian Church.
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:23 GMT (UK) »
" ...and John CHAMBERS[15] son of David CHAMBERS[16] of Magherafelt in the County of Londonderry attorney at law... "
http://www.thesilverbowl.com/documents/1818Jul24-WADDELL-READE.html

Deaths, 28 Apr.1841: "At Leitrim, near Sydney, Mary, daughter of David Chambers, Esq., lately of Magherafelt, county Londonderry, Ireland."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Coleraine Chronicle death notices-
David Chambers, sen. 24 April 1848 at Sydney "a very eminent solicirtor" age 75
John Chambers 16 Mar.1845 at 59 Upper Gardiner St., Dublin, solicitor
Margaret Chambers 13 Aug.1849 at Sydney widow of Daniel, sen.

Also a marriage at Sydney in 1857- Margaret Lilias Chambers, daughter of David formerly Magherafelt, to Samuel J. Ussher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Londonderry Sentinel

15 Mar.1834: On the 5th inst., at Desertmartin Church, by the Rev. William Dysart, Zachariah Maxwell, of Moneymore, Esq., to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of David Chambers, of Magherafelt, Esq.

3 Oct.1840: Sept. 24, at St. George's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. William Hamerton, John Taylor Hamerton, of North Cumberland Street, solicitor, to Matilda, eldest daughter of John Chambers, of Gardiner Street, Esq.

16 Oct.1847: On Wednesday, the 21st April 1847, in St. James's Church, Sydney, by the Right Rev. the Bishop of Australia, Samuel J. Ussher, Esq., fifth son of the late Rev. Dr. Henry Ussher, of Ramelton, county Donegal, Ireland, to Margaret Lillias, daughter of David Chambers, Esq.,
formerly of Magherafelt, county Londonderry, Ireland, and now of Macquarrie Street, in the City of Sydney, New South Wales.

4 Jan.1850: July 19th, by special licence, by the Rev. A.C. Thompson, Baynule, Hugh John Chambers, Esq., solicitor, son of the late David Chambers, Esq., Magherafelt, to Margaret, eldest daughter of John Hawdon, Esq., Kiora county, St. Vincent.

Offline AussieLad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 23:51 GMT (UK) »
My sincere thanks to 'hallmark', 'aghadowey' and 'scotmum' for your extensive research and many postings in answer to my queries. Most kind indeed!

Offline AussieLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers, Joseph, ca 1745-ca 1801, Minister at Magherafelt and Castle Dawson
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 February 17 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I have followed up all of the information kindly provided to me by members of this forum in response to my original request for assistance dated 22 January and after further research, it is probable that Rev. Joseph Chambers was a Minister in the Church of Ireland, who was active in Magherafelt and/or Castle Dawson during the last 20-30 years of the 18th century. On 17 March 1802, he wrote the following letter to his brother-in-law, Adam Clarke (the Wesleyan Methodist theologian born in the townland of Moybeg Kirley, Tobermore), informing him of the death of his sister.

“Castle Dawson, March 17, 1802.
Alas, my dear brother, God Almighty has taken unto himself your best of sisters. Her health, as you know, had been rapidly declining; but on the 16th He sent his summons for her: a summons grateful to her, but dreadful to me. Never, in all my visitations to death-beds, did I find a soul better prepared to meet its Maker. Her soul had begun its heaven upon earth; and, without the least dread of futurity as it opened upon her, she chanted grateful hallelujahs to her merciful Redeemer. May my exit be like hers! That she had in Him full confidence and joy, was her expression a few minutes before a gentle sigh that winged her soul to eternal happiness! May God permit me an extraordinary intimacy with her in heaven. I hope I may indulge the pleasing idea. I have written to her dear mother and brother. Pray write and give me some comfort from your ever kind pen — it may alleviate the affliction of                                 
Your affectionate Brother,                                                                                                                                  Joseph Chambers.”

[This gentleman was an excellent clergyman, and some years afterwards expired while on his knees at his evening devotions. —Eds.]

Source: The Wesley Banner and Revival Record, for the Year 1849 Volume 1. LONDON: PARTRIDGE  AND OAKEY, PATERNOSTER-ROW. LONDON: PRINTED BY JOHN KAYE AND CO., 60, FLEET-STREET.

Could anyone tell me where I may be able to access (preferably online) a list of Church of Ireland ministers resident in Co. Londonderry during the period in question?

All assistance would be gratefully received.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
The plot adjacent to the one linked to by aghadowey earlier in this thread, contains 4 month old Edith Chambers daughter of Rev Joseph and Mrs Elizabeth Chambers:

http://www.discovereverafter.com/plot/9556

Offline johnechambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Having read the threads of this chat, I am wondering if anyone can provide me some insight as to whether the Alexander Chambers (Joseph’s brother) mentioned in the threads emigrated to New York onboard the ship Venice with his daughter-in-law Elizabeth and her children in 1847 following the death of Elizabeth’s husband Hugh. I am trying to gather more information about Alexander and his family and ancestors.
What I know to date is Alexander was listed as a farmer on the passenger list and lived in or around Castle Dawson. I know he had a least one child Hugh who served in the Royal Artillery and was discharged back to Castle Dawson with Elizabeth and the first two of their children. I don’t know if Hugh was born in Castle Dawson or whether he came to Ireland with his family during the plantation years. I have conflicting information in this regard, as one of Hugh’s sons, Adam, a Presbyterian minister in New York lists his father’s birth place as Castle Dawson on his application for US citizenship. I do know Adam went back to the UK at sometime during his time as a minister of religion for some reason but I am unsure where he went. Adam’s older brother Hugh junior eventually left New York and made his way to Australia in pursuit of gold and met up with his oldest brother William. In Australia, Hugh married Charlotte Mawhinnew (Mawhinney) the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Lawerence). Charlotte was born in Derry presumably near Castle Dawson and may have known Hugh junior as a child as they appear to have married relatively soon after Hugh arrived in Sydney and Charlotte’s maternal grandmother was Charlotte Chambers. I would appreciate any feedback from readers of this forum. Alexander Chambers was my great great great great grandfather.