Author Topic: Thomas Slingdby - Lost at sea?  (Read 827 times)

Offline stansson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Slingdby - Lost at sea?
« on: Sunday 22 January 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Slingsby born 1820 at Selby started going to sea from Hull in 1834 on the Hull - Baltic run
He usually sailed on the Aire with Robert Haigh as master or the Altona with George Roebuck as master.  In 1842 Thomas married Amelia Ann Waltham at Holy Trinity church Hull and in 1843 their daughter Mary Waltham Slingsby was born. The last recorded voyage Thomas made was on the Altona as mate( he had just got his Mate's ticket ) with George Roebuck as Master to Hamburg in December 1843 and return on 12th.January 1844.  In 1847 Amelia Ann Slingsby married William Keyworth at Holy Trinity church Hull describing herself as a widow  I can find no record of Thomas's death anywhere yet I assume it must be recorded or Amelia Ann committed bigamy ( which seems unlikely considering the time scale and same church and locality ) I am thinking he sailed again but was lost at sea.  Does anyone have any ideas where I might go from here

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Slingdby - Lost at sea?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Have you found the Altona or George Roebuck after 12th January 1844?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat

George Roebuck master of the Altona died 2 January 1846 age 37 from inflammation of the lungs -
Hull Packet 09 January 1846
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stansson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information. There is no record of Thomas Slingsby going to sea again, at least he may well have done but there is no record of him docking after 1844  I think perhaps the answer may lie in the Maritime Museum at Greenwich - there is no record of him in Hull.  Thanks once again folks for you interest