Author Topic: Ann Morton, daughter of Alice of Bolsterstone/Hollingbush/Bradfield  (Read 1432 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Ann Morton, daughter of Alice of Bolsterstone/Hollingbush/Bradfield
« on: Sunday 22 January 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone has knowledge of the Bradfield/Bolsterstone/Hollingbush area of Yorkshire.
I have a Ann MORTON, daughter of Alice Morton. This Ann married Thomas EASTWOOD at Wath Upon Dearne on 5th January 1779.

I went about trying to find a baptism record for Ann MORTON, with a mother named Alice. I've found a possible baptism record at Sheffield - 'Anne Mortin daughter of Alice Mortin' born at the Workhouse, baptized 27 Jul 1760 at 'Sheffield, St James, Norton' (record can be found on FindMyPast - I think it may be transcribed as Martin).
On Ann and Thomas Eastwood's children's baptisms at Wentworth, Alice (Ann's mother) is said to be of Bolsterstone, and again at Hollingbush, Bradfield.

I know that Alice may well have moved to live in a different area between the birth of Ann and the time that Ann had her children, but does anyone know if this Alice baptizing her daughter at Sheffield could be my Alice of Bolsterstone/Hollingbush? Were there any workhouses in this area? (the name of the workhouse mentioned on Ann's baptism isn't mentioned).
Also if anyone can find any alternative baptisms for Ann, then I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,
Holly

Added: I should mention that on the record image, the exact words are: "Anne d: [blank space left for father's name]   & Alice Mortin at the workhouse".
Is it likely that the father is deceased or that Ann(e) was illegitimate? Also, would there be any way of me tracing Alice - where she was from etc, or would it be looking for a needle in a haystack?
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Morton, daughter of Alice of Bolsterstone/Hollingbush/Bradfield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Possible baptism for Alice

Alice Morton baptised 15 Nov 1736 Bolsterstone, father Nicholas Morton

That's the only Alice I can find in that area.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
thank you both  :)
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
There was a Workhouse at Bradfield.  Bolsterstone was at that time a Chapelry in Bradfield, which was itself a chapelry of Ecclesfield. Hollybush is also spelt Hollin Busk, Holling Busk, etc.  (Hollin means Holly, and holly was grown as a crop to feed sheep).  As an aside, we are currently fighting yet another proposal to built on here, as it is green belt land. 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »
The Alice baptised in 1736 was the dau of Ncholas of Midhopestones (a nearby village to Bolsterstone, but not near to Hollybush). 
Just a thought - if Ann was baptised at Norton, I wouldn't have thought she'd have been born at a Workhouse in Bradfield parish.  Miles away.  Might it be worth checking the poor law documents?
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)