Author Topic: Julia CURTIS.1857.  (Read 11535 times)

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Julia CURTIS.1857.
« Reply #36 on: Friday 10 February 17 00:58 GMT (UK) »
This could be nothing more than a coincidence, but I note that Thomas Curtis was also recorded as Thomas Boyd Curtis, and that the other party to the Bills of Sale with Julia Curtis was Moses Alexander.

There is also this Bill of Sale between Thomas Boyd & Moses Alexander, and again - if Im looking at the correct place on the map - seems to be in the right general area (Prahran/Yarra):

1897:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jgt/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 10 February 17 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting -more and more links..................

I will transcribe the record of the marriage of Julia Laura and Thomas MOORE.  You never know what small detail may help in a search.  A good example of this is the death reg for the baby which gave the place of death as Mcquarie St, Prahran and this allowed the finding of a Thomas CURTIS paying rates for a property in that street. 

So:

Marriage 13 June, 1888 at Herbert St, Albert Park, by Licence, rites of Presbyterian church of Victoria
Thomas Leckenby MOORE, bachelor, born Prahran, civil servant, 26, living in Prahran, mother: Sarah Ann BENNETT
Julia Laura CURTIS, spinster, born Hotham, no occupation listed, 26, living in Albert Park, mother Julia CURTIS.
Witnesses:
Bessie FINLAY, Thos BOYD (slightly difficult to read but it seems to me that's what is written).
There is a notation at the side of the record, signed by the minister stating "Bride and Bridegroom are both of illegitimate birth"

A few observations:
Jomot (great finds) found a Bill of Sale dated 1894 between Moses ALEXANDER and Julia CURTIS for 33 Herbert St, South Melbourne, 1894.  The newspaper marriage notice (Reply #10) said that the wedding took place "at the residence of the bride".  Presumably the residence was no 33.  Looking on Googlemap it seems to be one of a 2-storey terrace.

The Thomas BOYD connection is interesting.  As Jomot says the name of the father of Alfred Ernest CURTIS, d 1905, is given as Thomas Boyd CURTIS.  There are many entries in the Rate Books for Thomas BOYD and a Thomas Elder BOYD who seem to be the same person and well into buying and selling property all over what is now the inner suburban area of Melbourne.  I could not see any of the addresses that we have for the CURTIS family linked to him, though.

I am not familiar with Bills of Sale - is the first-named person the buyer or seller?
Verna, one of Julia MOORE's children is registered at Box Hill in 1899 and the Bill of Sale is for a property in Elgar Rd, Mont Albert.  Elgar Rd is the boundary between Box Hill and Mont Albert so it looks as though Julia MOORE was living there at the time.

Moses ALEXANDER also pays rates on a number of properties and is described as a 'financier".

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 10 February 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
The marriage and Bill of Sale both being Herbert Street looks very promising.

I don't know much about the Bill of Sale process either, but this snippet is from the description of the overall series:  Bills of Sale were mortgages against personal chattels used extensively by individuals and small business to raise finance.

Schedules of the chattels were attached to the bills. The schedules list the grantors' chattels against which a bill was drawn.

In those instances when the bill was against furniture the inventory is often given on a room by room basis, sometimes identify the occupant of the room

So it is basically security for a loan, and as Moses Alexander was a financier it seems likely that Julia was borrowing money from him & the Bill of Sale details the security she provided.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 10 February 17 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Still looking for Thomas Curtis I note that there are several newspaper references to Thos/Thomas Curtis, Grocer, St Kilda from the 1860's onwards, followed by a death notice in 1885 (died by 'accidental' drowning, aged 57).   He appears to have traded at High Street, St Kilda but lived at Grosvenor St, Balaclava.  From quickly scanning his will & associated documents he appears to have owned various property & his net estate was just over £1,000.  His widow is named as Hannah, daughter Laura Henrietta, son-in-law William Wormall & his son was Thomas Edward Curtis, who may be the Thomas E CURTIS in Prahran in 1890. 

An age of 57 in 1885 would put his birth at around 1828, so of a similar age to Julia.  Could he perhaps be the Thomas Curtis 'gentleman'?  If so then he left nothing to Julia or her children in his will.   :-\

For anyone searching the surname is sometimes written Curtiss

ADDED:  Just re-reading the Rate Book entries provided previously by Judith:

1871 Thomas CURTIS, shipping agent, Grosvenor St, Prahran - so likelihood is that this is the same family, and the shipping agent is possibly the son, Thomas E

Further added:  It looks like Thomas Sr sold his original grocery business in 1874 and then reopened circa 1879/1880, which is when we lose track of the shipping agent.  He also seems to have had to sell off various pieces of land in the interim period. 

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 11 February 17 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I had discounted looking for the St Kilda Thomas CURTIS/S as he seemed to be living in St Kilda and any references to his occupation were to his grocery business.   It certainly crossed my mind that he could have been Julia's bloke but I did not see how it could ever be proven.  I note that Julia's first position was in St Kilda.

Thomas CURTIS/S, the grocer was apparently supposed to have committed suicide according to this newspaper report (on p5)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191193776/18363549
but the inquest returned a verdict of accidental death
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191194705

The Thomas CURTIS paying rates in Prahran is described mostly as being involved with shipping as an owner or shipping clerk with one entry just 'clerk'.  There are a number of men of the same name at around the same time so separating them is almost impossible.

There is also the link to a Thomas BOYD who seems to be a possibility.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 11 February 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Brighton General Cemetery
Family listed https://api.billiongraves.com/grave/Julia-Laura-Moore/12263462#/
Family listed https://billiongraves.com/grave/Verna-Muriel-Burge/12263459#/t

1935 #2099 BURGE, Verna Muriel
Father's name: Moore Thomas
Mother's maiden name: Julia (Curtis)
Place of death: Brighton

Administration notice: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12222816
.. Probate Jurisdiction that LETTERS of ADMINISTRATION of the estate of VERNA MURIEL BURGE late of 2 Landcox street North Brighton in the said State married woman deceased intestate may bo granted to Bennie Howarth Burge...

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12228338
NOK are husband and two children

PROV Index to Wills and Probates https://tinyurl.com/gw8ak8p
Verna M Burge; Married; Nth Brighton; DoD 14 Mar 1935

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 11 February 17 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Verna's marriage
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3858688

Birth of a son
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4026679

Verna's death notices:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/204289078

Perhaps this is the death of one of Verna's sons named in her death notice.
From the Ryerson index
http://ryersonindex.org/search.php

Malcolm Clifford (Mac) BURGE
Died  2 February, 2001, at Deniliquin
Death notice: Herald Sun (Melbourne)   5 FEB 2001

NSW BMD has the death of Verna's husband in 1965
Bennie Howarth BURGE   #41732,, district of Deniliquin
Parents: LEWIS,GEORGINA   

If you are interested in contacting them the White Pages (phone directory) has 4 listings with the surname BURGE in Deniliquin.

There are quite a few mentions of "Prairie Home" which is the BURGE farm on Google ( a tip - is searching for Australian content use google.com.au rather than UK or US versions).  The BURGE family still own the farm and it was badly hit by floods last year. One article actually mentions the other son of Verna.

Judith

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 11 February 17 03:19 GMT (UK) »

The Thomas BOYD connection is interesting.  As Jomot says the name of the father of Alfred Ernest CURTIS, d 1905, is given as Thomas Boyd CURTIS.  There are many entries in the Rate Books for Thomas BOYD and a Thomas Elder BOYD who seem to be the same person and well into buying and selling property all over what is now the inner suburban area of Melbourne.  I could not see any of the addresses that we have for the CURTIS family linked to him, though.

Judith

Trying to help with some notes here too.
There were 2 Thomas Elder BOYDs
There was the elder and the younger.

Thomas Elder BOYD the elder died in 1860 and his will is digitised.  He was a well known banker manager. One of the applicants for probate was his son, Thomas Elder BOYD, the younger.
The younger died in 1906

This man’s occupation, sighted in 1872, was as a partner in the firm Boyd and Currie shipping and marine insurance agents of Queen Street Melbourne.
Other descriptions and sightings include- Accountant. Commission agent.

I have not located marriage or births for this man, but there is this death notice in 1906.

At his home in His home at Brighton aged 71.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/139175460

BOYD Thos Elder
Father Boyd Thos Elder
Mother Jessie SMALL
Age 71
Death Place Brtn
Yea: 1906
Reg. 8086

I have not found a specific address in Brighton for the man.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 11 February 17 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Great finds Sue.  I think Thomas Elder BOYD is a very real possibility.  I guess we'll never know for sure  ???

As well as your finds I see  in Victoria Melbourne Directory (Sands) 1867 BOYD and CURRIE, shipping agents with premises in the CBD and Thomas E BOYD, of Boyd and Currie, S Y.  So is SY = South Yarra, which is not a stone's throw from Prahran?

Speculation of course.   ::)

I am not seeing a death reg for Thomas (the younger) nor a will on PROV. Couldn't see a suitable Electoral roll entry either but the last electoral roll would only be 1903. 

Judith