Author Topic: Julia CURTIS.1857.  (Read 11509 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Julia CURTIS.1857.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 January 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
My resource shows the place of death as Sanham which would be registration district Sandringham which would include Hampton.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 03:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage notice for Thomas MOORE, Prahran, HM Customs and Julia Laura CURTIS of Albert Park, 12 July, 1888.  Unfortunately no parent details. (Both places suburbs of Melbourne
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/6896311

The death notice for Julia CURTIS, 1917 said she died at her son's residence, Willis St, Hampton.  Electoral rolls show these people with surname CURTIS in Hampton in 1917:
Constance Gertrude, hd, Wills St
Herbert Henry, clerk,  Willis St
Julia, hd, Willis St
John Norman, dentist, Hampton St
Florence Maud, hd, Hampton St
Rupert Cecil, optician, "Asthore" Hampton Rd

The death notice stated she was mother to the late A. E.., C. G. and H.H
Presumably these children alive at the time are Constance Gertrude and Herbert Henry.

This family is quite elusive - I find nothing to suggest that Julia snr is the Julia being sought but then there is also noting to rule her out.  IF it is the correct Julia she has not used a married surname - perhaps she was married and reverted to the use of her maiden name.

Anyhow, here's what I have found;  I cannot see a birth for any of them (in Australia)

Death, Victoria, 1943, #4984
Constance Gertrude CURTIS, 73, (b abt 1870)
Death Place:   Adelaide, Victoria
No mention of parents on this index  :(

TROVE death Notices:
Constance Gertrude CURTIS died 13 May, sister of Julia (Mrs MOORE), Alf (dec) and Herb.  Notices mention nieces and nephews.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11338890/624136

Constance Gertrude CURTIS buried at St Kilda, 15 May 1943.

PROV WILLS:  http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54
Constance G CURTIS,   Spinster, E Brighton, died 13 May 1943   File no: 343/381

TROVE shows a death for a Herbert Henry CURTIS of 2 Landcox St, North Brighton, privately cremated.  The notices mention nieces and nephews, among them some with surname MOORE.  I suspect he was never married. 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/23319230

According to a Deceased Search he was cremated at Springvale 9/11/1953 and the remains scattered.

From PROV wills
Herbert H Curtis, occ    X Clerk (sic), of   Brighton, died 07 Nov 1953, File Number: 470/375

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 04:58 GMT (UK) »
This is probably the son who is mentioned as deceased in Jullia's death notice - also buried at St Kilda
St Kilda Cemetery
Alfred E CURTIS, Buried 26/06/1905
Church of England, Compartment C, Grave 505 (same as one of his sisters')

Looks like his death index entry - hooray - a father's name
Victoria, 1905 #5207
Alfd Ernt CURTIS, 37, (b abt 1868)
Died at Elsternwick, Victoria
Father's name:   Curtin Thos Boyd
Mother's name:   Julia Curtis

Hmm - father's name is intriguing and perhaps someone else may come in with other resources to find better info.
What order are the father's names?  That is, what is his surname? Could the name "Curtin" actually be Curtis?
Is his mother's maiden name actually CURTIS or is it a married name (I know it should be her maiden name.)

Death notice for Alfred Ernest CURTIS with no family information  ::)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/198593384

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith,

The online index has Curtis rather than Curtin in the column for his Dad's details.

CURTIS Alfd Ernt
Death
Father's name Curtis Thos Boyd
Mother's maiden name Julia (Curtis)
Reg. year 1905
Reg. no 5207

http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/search+your+family+history/

ADD
I checked for Curtis, death 1905, NO GIVEN NAMES and I am now sure the 'Curtis' in Dad's name column is Dad's surname.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 05:24 GMT (UK) »
An infant death in Victoria

CURTIS Ernest Edwin
Father Thomas
Mother Julia CURTIS
Birth Place PRAH
Year 1867
Reg 9068

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 05:56 GMT (UK) »
My index entry using CURTIN was from the usual Australian Birth Index as supplied by Ancestry so I'm not surprised it was incorrect.  ::)  Judith

Offline ROBINHULL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for taking time out to look for Julia Curtis.
Much appreciated.
I note yesterday there was a link to a newspaper to a marriage for a Patrick Doherty and Julia Curtis about 1860.??
Is there any way of checking this out at all??
Thanks. :)
HULL LEICESTERSHIRE.
WASHBOURNE GLOUCS.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look but no luck.  Busy for the next couple of days so won't get to it properly till at least the weekend.  Perhaps someone else may be able to look before then.

If you think there is a chance that the other lady is your Julia you can download images from Victorian records for about $AU23.  Australian certificates have wonderful genealogical information - again, if known to the informant.

Here's what is asked for when registering a death:

Date and place of death;
 name and surname;
 occupation of the deceased;
 sex and age;
 cause of death,
 duration of illness,
 medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased;
 name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname        signature, description and address of the person who gave the information;  signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered,
 when and where buried,
 undertaker whom certified;
 name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial;
 place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian  colonies or states (stating which),
 name of spouse,
 place of marriage,
 age at marriage;
 names and ages of children of the deceased.

Much more informative than those from England and Wales  :)

You can save $1 by using the registration number which was given in the earlier post.

http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/

Judith

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 03:59 GMT (UK) »
I too have had a bit of a look around for the CURTIS /DOHERTY marriage.
Used some different spellings for the surnames and other techniques without any luck.

It is an interesting notice because the implication , though subtle, is that the marriage took place in Australia and that the couple  (or at least the Julia CURTIS) had connections in England, even specifically London. However, the wording makes none of this perfectly clear ::)

I think I noted that your Julia, on the passenger list, was C of E.

I would be asking on the Irish board whether a marriage could be found in Ireland as a pathway to eliminating or confirming her as your person.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk