Author Topic: Julia CURTIS.1857.  (Read 11505 times)

Offline ROBINHULL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Julia CURTIS.1857.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking..
Julia does seem to be tricky to track down.
Perhaps marriage to Patrick Doherty was in Australia about 1860 but could easily be another ???
The death certificate info does seem to be a lot more detailed...even names and age of children which would be of great interest..
Thanks again everyone for looking for me.
 :)
HULL LEICESTERSHIRE.
WASHBOURNE GLOUCS.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 January 17 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Some eliminations:
You can see how I've eliminated this one -
From Victoria, Australia, Cemetery Records and Headstone Transcriptions, 1844-1997

At Melbourne cemetery, Section A, Roman Catholic
Erected by William DOHERTY in memory of his parents Patrick DOHERTY died 11 Dec 1863 age 52 and Julia Ann DOHERTY died 3 Dec 1895 age 80 also Ann died 23 Jan 1854

The only death I can see for a Patrick DOHERTY, 1863, is in NSW, registered at Young, #6513.
No parents' names given on the index.
According to an on-line tree this man's wife was Julia Ann HANLEY and here are her details from the index
Victoria, 1895, #13063
Julia DOHERTY, 77
Died at Echuca, Victoria
Parents: Hanley Wh, Julia Mahoney

Another one:
NSW death, 1867, of a Julia A Doherty, Maitland registration, parents: Thomas, Mary - wrong parents.

Possible? Electoral rolls on-line begin at 1903 when Julia, nee CURTIS would be about 70.
Electoral rolls show a Julia DOHERTY at Temora, 1903-4.  No others of that surname shown in Temora.  However there are some births in Temora to Thomas and Julia DOHERTY so I think this is not her, either.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 January 17 07:32 GMT (UK) »
From the NSW electoral roll 1902/3, BLAND, polling at Temora.  (ie not from Ancestry)

Julia DOHERTY, (of) Temora, domestic duties
Thomas Andrew DOHERTY (of) Temora, letter carrier.

no others of that surname at that polling place.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 January 17 07:38 GMT (UK) »
An entry Sands 1905 Country Directories.

Mrs DOHERTY, Costumiere, Temora.   ;D

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 January 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Good finds JM.  I didn't see Thomas Doherty on the Ancestry electoral rolls for Temora in 1903.  For OP's information  Temora is a small town in the Riverina district in NSW. With births on NSW BMD to Thomas and Julia Docherty I would discount this woman also as it seems likely that her husband's name is Thomas.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 January 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry's NSW ER is for 1903/04, ie likely it was prepared for December 1903 federal elections or the August 1903 (see JMs note below) state elections.  Mine is for 1902/03, and includes Females for the first time.

I agree, the lass at Temora very unlikely to be the Julia Curtis.  Thomas Andrew Doherty, the letter carrier can be followed in Trove (postal assistant etc various locations) and NSW BDM births into the 1900s at those various locations matching up with Trove sightings would therefore seem to eliminate Mrs Doherty, the costumiere of Temora. 

OOPS,  the NSW elections were August 1904.   I should remember to double/triple check my facts before typing up.  Sorry. 

JM

Offline ROBINHULL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi..
Thanks for everyone taking time to look for Julia Curtis..really appreciated.
I am new to this hunt in Australia so any help was really appreciated.
Julia does seem to disappear but will no doubt pop up somewhere... sometime...
Thanks again
Rob
HULL LEICESTERSHIRE.
WASHBOURNE GLOUCS.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm

Couldn't resist so I downloaded the death certificate for Julia CURTIS, died 1917, and it still doesn't completely rule her out!

Transcription:
Deaths
Date and place of death - 29 March, 1917.  19 Willis St Hampton, Victoria
 Name and surname - Julia Curtis
Occupation of the deceased - household duties
 Sex and age - female 81 years
 Cause of death - Senile decay, heart failure
 Duration of illness - not recorded
Medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased; W R Atkinson, 28 March 1917
Name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname, with occupation    -     not known is written 4 times in this column.   
Signature, description and address of the person who gave the information -  G C Cooley, authorised agent, Burnley St, Burnley
Signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered - Frederick William Francis, 29 March 1917, Sandringham
 [i]When and where buried, undertaker whom certified[/i] - 30 March, 1917, St Kilda, Roy Sleight
Name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial; E Thomas, James Lee
Place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which) - Leicestershire, England, 55 years in Victoria
If married - Where, and at what age and to whom - Scotland, 25, Thomas Curtis,
Names and ages of children of the deceased -  Julia Laura 56, Ernest Edwin dec'd, Alfred Ernest dec'd, Constance Gertrude ? years, Herbert Henry 45 years

So - some thoughts............

Place of birth is correct, but only gives the county.
Age: 81 at 1917 gives a DoB of abt 1836; as this lady is quite some age it's possible that the informant may not have known her actual age.  The UK census entries give ages for a DoB of 1831 in which case she would have been 86 at her death.
Informant is an authorised agent - possibly an employee of the undertaker or a solicitor.  The information given would have been given to him by a family member.
Time in Victoria is out by some 5 years - again the informant may not have known exactly when she arrived.
Marriage - the information gives her age as 25 when she married Thomas CURTIS in Scotland.  This would be a marriage date between 1855 and 1861 depending on her DoB (1831 -1836).  Arrival in 1857 has obvious implications for a marriage date.  Seems possible that her maiden name may have been CURTIS also.

I still think this may be her although there are some inconsistencies - possibly these could be explained by poor information from the informant keeping in mind that the events were before the informant's birth.

It seems that Thomas has been gone for some time at the time of this Julia's death as he is not mentioned in the death notices, although not listed on the record as deceased.  Seems odd that there seems to be no birth records for the children. A birth certificate would have been very useful!

Just a small part of me wonders if this marriage actually took place.  :-\

I haven't time to hunt up a marriage in Scotland just at present.  ::)

Judith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 February 17 01:34 GMT (UK) »
The death records for any of the children should give Name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname, with occupation.  If you are going to order one it would be better to get the child who died in 1867 as the information for that registration would almost certainly have been given by Julia or Thomas direct.  At least it should show if Julia's maiden name was Curtis.  The children who died after Julia probably have no more info than her death registration.

This is the website.  Cost is $AU 24.60 on the plastic card  8) and it's emailed to you immediately.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

The marriage certificate for Julia Laura should have parent's names of each party (including mother's maiden name) and occupation of  father; But again,  by the time she was married perhaps Thomas was not mentioned.

Intriguing!

Judith