Author Topic: Farms in Elstead, 1800s  (Read 2973 times)

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farms in Elstead, 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 January 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Via the Surrey Archive, I found that Ancestry hold electoral roll details for Surrey, and found James Collyer on there, recorded as being 'Occupier as tenant of house and land' at Woolfords Farm, so at least my guess that he was a tenant farmer was confirmed. As far as finding out what he grew or raised there, I still can't track down any information. It's still progress, though!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
It is good that you have confirmed that though  :)

I tried searching 'The Times' for Woolfords Farm - A bit later than you are looking at but in 2007 it was one of the Farms where cattle were culled due to Foot & Mouth. Maybe it has always been a cattle farm  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Didn't know that! Thank you - I'll bear that in mind. I know the Farnham area (not far away) used to be a hop-growing area and, nowadays, sheep seem to be the animal most reared in Surrey. That is, of course, where former farms haven't become gated estates of very expensive houses!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 January 17 12:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a small brewery on the Hogs Back now  :)  I know what you mean about the houses....  ::)

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grahamcollyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just come across this thread and think I can help you. I am a gt gt grandson of James and Hester Collyer and grew up in Elstead. A fortnight today there is to be a Collyer family get-together with everyone attending being linked to James and Hester. If you would like to get in touch I will be happy to share with you.
Graham Collyer

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 September 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Wow! Hello, Graham! So, you're on the same 'layer' of the family as my husband (Keith Palmer) was. My husband only had a very vague interest in any family history research I did, on both sides of both of our families but, as I said, I started looking a  little more closely at James and Hester because of the course I was doing on the Victorian countryside. I thought it would give more meaning to what I learned, and to where I live now (rural West Wight). I would love to hear of any relevant information you pick up from the get-together. How exciting. Thanks very much.  :)

Offline grahamcollyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 September 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again. James and Hester had 13 children, and my line is down from George, the seventh child and the first born in Elstead, after they had moved to Woolfords in 1855-56. J&H were born in Frensham where he was a tailor, but why they moved the three or so miles to Elstead is not clear, although the Collyers had been in Elstead for many generations (James's grandfather was born there). My great grandfather George and grandfather Allan lived and worked nowhere else, and were well-known in the village, as was my father, who only moved away (to Frensham!) in 1988. Until I retired to Devon, I lived and worked in the area, and my sister continues to live near by (she and her husband also have a static caravan at Milford on Sea, and often go across to West Wight). Which line did your husband come down from? There are 56 people, from three to 93, coming to the get-together in Elstead on September 30, and you would be made most welcome too. My phone number is Removed and email address is Removed if you would like to know more. Best wishes, Graham

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 September 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Graham. Keith came from Joseph's line, and his maternal grandfather was Edwin - lovely, lovely man was Grandad 'Ted' - my 'adopted' grandfather, he was. Keith's mother was Bessie. Joseph seemed to have lived all his life in Elstead, too, and was a carpenter. Edwin was born not far away (Witley) but, having met his wife (May Mandall Hall) in Norfolk at the end of WW1, they married in Lambeth, and Bessie was born in Stockwell. Eventually, they moved into a house in Sutton, along with Keith's parents. It was an interesting mix; May was one very strong-willed woman, not that I disliked her at all.

Thank you for the invitation, but it's not possible, sadly. The church I've been going to since we moved here is closing down on that day, with a special service and tea. As I'm on the leadership team, and have my name on the booking sheet for the hall where we're having the tea, it's probably best if I'm actually there! I imagine that a lady named Elizabeth Berry will be at the get-together, though, as I've a copy of a letter, along with a copy of a photo of James and Hester, she sent to my M-i-L, and she mentioned you. It's a very small world.

Thanks for the info. Enjoy the meet-up!
All the best, Gerry

Offline grahamcollyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 September 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Gerry, I am sorry you cannot make the 30th. I have just been in touch with Elizabeth, who is jointly organising the get-together with me, and she says she would like to get in contact with you again but has mislaid your email address. Her address is Removed , see reply #15.
If I could have your email address I could put you on to my Collyer Family group. We also have a closed Collyer Family Group page on Facebook, which Elizabeth administers.
Graham