Author Topic: The Cork Examiner 1869  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Cork Examiner 1869
« on: Sunday 22 January 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Can aybody help?

The Cork Examiner of Thursday Morning December 9, 1869 has the follwing birth anouncement:

AUDLEY - At Barronstrand- street, Waterford, the wife of Mr Henry Audley of a son.

Can anybody explain why somebody in Waterford would announce the birth of their son in Cork?

I have quite a bit of information about people with the Audley surname in Counties, Waterford, Wexford and Kilkenny but nothing in County Cork

Mr Henry Audley Audley announced the birth of a daughter in 1864 in 2 Waterford papers. The 'Waterford Mail' and 'The Waterford Mirror and Tranmore Visitor' so why did he change to a Cork Newspaper in 1869.

Mr Henry Audley's wife was called Elizabeth Lindsay (estimated date of birth 1835) but no idea where.

Was there anybody living in County Cork in 1869 with the surname Audley?

Thanks in anticipation of any help
Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Cork Examiner 1869
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
www.corkpastandpresent.ie  may have some information i.e directories etc.  In the Griffiths Valuation mid 1850's there is a Lord Audley a landlord in West Cork area. Griffiths also has 78 entries for surname Lindsay in Cork view at www.nationalarchives.ie also Tithe Applotment records on same site has several records for Lindsay in Co Cork
www.historicgraves.ie  has 1 entry for Audley in Waterford & several entries for Lindsay in Co Cork

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi ballydw,

Many thanks for your reply.
I have had a quick look at the street directories on the Cork past and present website but cannot find any reference to the Audley surname. I will have to do a more thorough search to be certain.

Your reference to Lord Audley is interesting. My understanding is that the surname of Lord Audley changed in 1777 from Touchet to Thicknesse.  It therefore seems unlikely that my Audley in Waterford were decended from a Lord Audley; but there again I could be completely wrong

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
No Audley BMD show up in the Cork area for 1864 to 1870.
That son was David born 6 Dec 1868
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03417/2253609.pdf
was Henry advertising in Cork at the time, could he have opened another shop there?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
You probably have this John 1867
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03462/2271468.pdf
Interesting error on his.
Did he get a notice in the papers?

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 17 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann

Thanks for your two messages.

I agree with your comments about no Audley BMD events in Cork 1864 to 1870
I agree that the son referred to in the birth announcement was called David
I am also aware of the birth of John in 1867
As far as I am aware his birth was not  announced in a newspaper.

I believe Henry had 9 children and only two of their births were announced in the newspapers. Namely a daughter in 1864 and a son in 1869. Unfortunately the names of the children are not given in the newspapers.

I have no evidence that Henry was advertising in Cork or had a second shop there.

In your last message you state 'interesting error on his'. Can you explain what the interesting error is?

Thank for your comments
Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 January 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
There isn't one, it was his second name of Lindsay putting me off, confusing myself with too many searches.

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann,
Many thanks for your last reply. I was hoping you had spotted something I had missed; Lindsay being the mothers maiden name. They appear to have given two children the same name as I have references to a John Lindsay who died in 1866 aged 0 and reference to a John Lindsay Audley born 30th November 1867 ( the one you mentioned)

Secondly you  made the comment that the son referred to in the Cork  Examiner was called David born 6th December 1868. This cannot be correct as the Cork Examiner was published on 9th December 1869 just over a year after the birth of David.

At the moment I believe the birth announcement is for Henry's next son James Audley. It is interesting that I cannot find a record for the birth or baptism of this James Audley all I know he was aged 31 in the 1901 census of Waterford.

I wonder if for some reason the family were temporarily resident in Cork and James Audley was born in Cork.

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Comes from searching too late at night, I should know better. So another birth to find.