Author Topic: The Cork Examiner 1869  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Gizmo678192

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Cork Examiner 1869
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 December 17 22:20 GMT (UK) »
To:The Wirral Way
Re Audley surname and Cork
The original Baron George Audley in Cork was a commander in the Battle of Kinsale in 1601 and then got much land in the local area and took the name Earl of Castlehaven. This estate in Cork was sold much later in the 1860s.

I published a local history book last year 'From Laois to Kerry' which included some pages on the the first three generations of Audleys in Cork and Ireland. If interested its available on Amazon.

I am now hoping to do more detailed biographies on these early generations of the Audleys in Cork and Ireland

Michael Keane

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 December 17 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael.
Many thanks for your message above through the Rootschat website.
I already have quite a bit of information from published sources about the Earls of Castlehaven, their ancestors as Barons (Lord) Audley and their descendants after the extinction of the title of Earl of Castlehaven.

I have had a quick look at your book on Amazon and at the moment I do not feel inclined to purchase a copy for £18.50 for 'some pages on the first three generations of the Earls of Castlehaven. How much of those some pages is about the misdemeanours of the 2nd Earl of Castlehaven?

I would be interested in your more detailed biographies when published.

As far as I am aware the surname of the Earls of Castlehaven is Touchet (or Tuchet) and not Audley.
Reference 'The Complete Peerage 2nd edition Volume 3. The name Audley coming from the title 'Baron Audley' which was their only title before they also became  Earls of Castlehaven and Baron Orier.

From the information I have it is clear that the children of a Touchet (Baron Audley) from a second marriage on a number of occasions took the surname Audley as opposed to Touchet, and I am wondering whether the Audley families of Waterford or The Rower, County Kilkenny could be related to the (Touchet) Earls of Castlehaven in a similar way.

Regards
The Wirral Way (Brian Audley)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 December 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »

Pedigrees of the Parke, Brown, Southwell, Dowdall, Peppard, Conway, Moyse, Denny, Touchet, and O'Connell families, from the collection of E. Brown, Clonboy, Co. Clare.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Ms. 1653
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gizmo678192

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 December 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Brian
Re ancient origins it seems both the Touchets and the Audleys came over to England with William the Conqueror and the Touchets took the additional name Audley following a Touchet marriage to an Audley heiress in 1314.  To come to modern times the 23rd Baron Audley married the daughter of Winston Churchill. I have compiled a little bit on this as I'm gradually gathering additional material.

My book has about 10 pages on the Touchet-Audleys (1st to 3rd Earls of Castlehaven), roughly 1580 -1680 who came to own large tracts of land in Castlehaven and Rosscarbery in Cork and also in Ulster following the Battle of Kinsale. The 10 pages are roughly equally divided between the three Earls. Seems the Cork Audley land was sold as an Encumbered Estate around 1860 following the Great Famine. The book is probably not of great interest apart from maybe references. However I have been giving copies to my friends for €10 incl p and p as that covers the costs and if interested you are welcome to one at that price. I am focused at the moment on trying to establish the full extent of the Audleys original landholding in Cork and the various Touchet-Audley owners over time. If any leads on that subject they would be welcome
Best wishes for 2018
Michael

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 December 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi hallmark and Gizmo678192,

hallmark,
Thanks for the suggestion I have looked at the National Library of Ireland website but have not managed to identify the manuscript. I will drop an e-mail to them in the New Year.

Gizmo678192
I will send you a private message through Rootschat. It may be later this evening depending upon when the two grandsons arrive
Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 December 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi hallmark and Gizmo678192,

hallmark,
Thanks for the suggestion I have looked at the National Library of Ireland website but have not managed to identify the manuscript. I will drop an e-mail to them in the New Year.

Regards
The Wirral Way

National Library of Ireland, Ms. 1653

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 December 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark,

I have been trying to put numerous variations of 'MS1653' into the List Number of the  NLI ' Mauscript Collection Lists page https://www.nli.ie/en/search-manscripts-collection-listing.aspx without success

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 December 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Manuscript call numbers may refer to a single volume, a collection of folders or a large number of boxes.

https://www.nli.ie/en/accessing-manuscripts.aspx

Email them and ask.