Author Topic: Egnoer Hay nee Mason b 1780ish  (Read 2113 times)

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Egnoer Hay nee Mason b 1780ish
« on: Sunday 22 January 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the death of Egnoer/Agnes that married William Hay.  I originally found in the death certificate of Margaret Hay 1817-1887 that indicated Agnes Mason and William Hay were her parents.  I had originally thought that Agnes or Egnoer (as it is variously spelled) died around 1824.  However, I found her (or I think it is her) in the 1841 census in Auldearn, Nainshire.  The census indicates that she was born Nairn 1781. The census lists her children Archibald Hay and Elizabeth Hay.  The ages are off for Archibald by about 10 years and Elizabeth by 4 year.  A jane Falconer age 4 is also present.  I haven't found that relationship if there is one. 

I am unable to find her marriage to William Hay, or her birth.  I suspect that she may be the child of Archibald Mason and Jane Gregor as they had a child 04 Jan 1779. 

William Hay apparently died before 1841 as I haven't found him in the census.

I am trying to find or verify the parents of Agnes/Egnow Mason, and her marriage and death.  Can someone help?

Thanks

Scott

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Egnoer Hay nee Mason b 1780ish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 17 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Go to Scotlands People https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk purchase a few credits.  I didn't have enough credits to these documents so I am only going by the indexes.

Then go to Search our Records select Church Registers and then Deaths you will find "a" WM Hay who died in Auldearn in 1836 he was 56 years old.

If you go to Births you will find a 1779 baptism for an Eggnew parents listed are Archibald Mason/Jane McGregor.  There is no Agnes recorded 1770-1790 and perhaps the clerk got her name wrong.

I didin't see Agnes's death so it possible she was missed as normally you get very little if any deaths listed in the OPR's.  However, there is one Egnon Mason listed who died in 1842 age 21 it is possible they have the age wrong so it would be worth a peak.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 17 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Wow.  I have been looking for William and spending about 42 credits - and he is found under Wm.  Eggnew is correct - I just found that one after looking at phonetic spelling.  I will look at those - I just logged out of SP to read this email :)

Thank you - I will let you know what I find.

Scott

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 17 03:19 GMT (UK) »
10 October 1836 Wm Hay Fxxxiton aged 56 years

24 May 1842 Egnon Mason Morals (?) tonen aged 71 (That age was hard, but looking at the way the clerk formed the numbers - it could be 21).

Taught me a lesson - look at much broader search first.....