Author Topic: Gezina Elizabeth Botha b.c1827  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gezina Elizabeth Botha b.c1827
« on: Monday 23 January 17 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to discover who Gezina Elizabeth Botha's parents were.

Gezina married twice:
(1) Theodorus Christoffel BOTHA - died before Mar.1855. They had 3 children: Jacobus Petrus b.Jun 1845; Theodorus Ernest Christoffel; Sara Susana Gesina Elizabeth.
I think Theodorus C was born 1821 Somerset East, son of Jacobus Petrus BOTHA x Sara Susanna STRYDOM.
(2) Theodorus Ernst BOTHA b.c1832 Somerset, d.Oct 1896 Rustenburg, son of Philippus Rudolf BOTHA x Carolina Margaretha Aletta BOTHA. Theodorus & Gezina married Mar.1855 in Smithfield - he was 22 bachelor, Gezina 28 widow. They had one son Theodorus Ernst.
Gezina died after Oct 1896.

I have found the following records:
- 1845 bapt/DoB of her eldest son Jacobus Petrus
- 1855 marriage of Gezina and Theodorus E,
- 1896 death notice of Theodorus Ernst, with his and Gezina's will.

Needless to say, there are other Gezina/Gesina Eliz.Bothas - but none of them fit the above facts or provide clues to "my" Gezina's parents.
Based on the names of the children of Gezina's first marriage, I'm beginning to wonder whether the daughter of Theodorus Ernst Botha x Gesina Elizabeth van Rooyen was not the Gezina Elizabeth Jacoba Botha who married Gerhardus P Pretorius. Just a thought.

Any help in discovering who Gezina's parents were would be much appreciated.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Gezina Elizabeth Botha b.c1827
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 07:23 GMT (UK) »

Do you know her maiden name or was it Botha as well?
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Ok have established that her maiden name was Botha as well. (Not an uncommon occurence)

There is a tree on Family Search which may be your Gesina, parents Theodorus Ernst Botha 1783-1840 and mother Gesina Elizabeth van Rooyen 1783-

Not sure if you've seen it, but it may be a possibility, the birth date is about right, 1827, but unfortunately no husband attached to the child Gesina to enable confirmation that it is definitely your Gesina.

Here is the link

https://familysearch.org/tree/person/L44C-FB4/details

The tree on Family Search which has Gerhardus Petrus Pretorius b1825 and Gesina Elizabeth Jakoba Botha b1829

https://familysearch.org/tree/person/9KPC-NKZ/details

So you are correct, they are different people

It tends to get confusing as the same names crop up in many generations and families.....
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, 3sillydogs.
Yes, her maiden name was Botha - and, just to confuse matters even further, some Bothas  married their Botha cousins - I have a few of these interfamilial marriages in my tree.
And I have seen those trees on familysearch, and trees on other websites, including Joe Botha's "Botha in Southern Africa." But I always try to verify everything, because you never know which trees are just including info from other online trees - and very few trees include sources or supporting evidence.

I do have the 1840 DN of Theodorus Ernst Botha - but wish I could find a DN for his wife Gesina Elizabeth van Rooyen as she apparently died 1875, so her DN may have included the married name of their daughter Gesina.
Gerhardus Petrus Pretorius was married to Gesina Elisabeth Jacoba Botha (I have verified that) - but I am not convinced that she was the daughter of Theodorus E Botha & Gesina E vRooyen.
Firstly, because "my" Gesina's name is "Gesina Elisabeth" in her will, her 2nd marriage record, and the DNs of both her 2nd husband  and her father - not "Gesina Elizabeth Jacoba"
And, secondly, because, if you follow the Dutch/Afrikaans naming traditions, then the names of Gesina's 3 children from her first marriage would certainly point to Theodorus E and Gesina vRooyen being her parents.

The search goes on ... and it's driving me nuts  :)

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to say as well that Gesina Elizabeth vRooyen and her 2nd husband were witnesses at the baptism of Jacobus Petrus b.1845, the eldest child of Gesina Elisabeth B and Theodorus Christoffel B.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 06:28 GMT (UK) »

I understand your frustration believe me, I have van Rooyen and Landman as main line ancestors and the naming and the inter-marrying amongst families can drive you nuts.   ::) ;D ;D

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 06:40 GMT (UK) »
I have a very detailed family tree for van Rooyen, let me have a look and see if I can find your Gezina Elizabeth van Rooyen as I don't add indirect lines to my tree it may take a bit of time. 

Have you had a look a www.geni.com, there are quite a bit of South African records on there.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 08:55 GMT (UK) »

This web site has a lot of information on the Botha's including surnames that are connected.  It will take some wading through it, but I have found useful information for myself on it.

http://home.mweb.co.za/el/elijo/bothhtml/index.html

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've seen the trees on Geni.
The other link that you gave is for "Botha in Southern Africa" which is Joe Botha's - he has researched the Botha's extensively, and I often refer to his website - but it doesn't include any sources, so I'm not convinced that it was Theodorus & Gesina (van Rooyen) Botha's daughter who married G P Pretorius.
Am hoping you'll find some clue in the info that you have for the van Rooyens, or something else comes to light.
Live in hope, die in despair  ;)