Author Topic: Joseph Graydon - Find my past  (Read 1925 times)

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Joseph Graydon - Find my past
« on: Tuesday 24 January 17 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I have a Joseph Graydon born abt 1785 in Ireland. Jospeh married Ann Morton abt 1830, I pressume in Ireland and on her death certificate (in Scotland)  it states that Joseph was a gunner in the Royal artillery.

Online I have found a Joseph Graydon born Killisher, Fermanagh who serves in the Royal Artiliary discharged aged 33.
Royal Hospital Chelsea Soldiers Service Documents 1760 - 1854 etc (WO 97/1-1271) Royal Artilliry Gre - Gre nd this information can be found on find my past. I have a subscription to Ancestry and it nothing comes up there. Searching find my past, nothing appears to come up on there either for the above related information. I don't have a subscription to find my past but thought something at least may have come up. Are there any suggestions for where else I may look for this information. I may have to resort to the Archives in Ireland.
I'm using the libraries internet at present so if I don;t reply for a dy or two, that will be why.

Thanks

lil
Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Graydon - Find my past
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
You don’t say what denomination Joseph was. If he was Church of Ireland (ie Anglican) then Killesher Church of Ireland parish records start in 1798. So you might find Joseph’s marriage (assuming his bride was from that parish) but the records don’t go back far enough to find his baptism. There’s a copy in PRONI (the public record office in Belfast). I don’t think they are on-line anywhere. No other denomination has any records for the period you are looking at.

Looking at the 1901 census for the county, there were 52 people named Graydon. All were either Church of Ireland or Methodist. However Methodism didn’t really get established in Ireland till the 1820s and so chances are all were Church of Ireland at that time.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Online I have found a Joseph Graydon born Killisher, Fermanagh who serves in the Royal Artiliary discharged aged 33.
Royal Hospital Chelsea Soldiers Service Documents 1760 - 1854 etc (WO 97/1-1271) Royal Artilliry Gre - Gre nd this information can be found on find my past. I have a subscription to Ancestry and it nothing comes up there. Searching find my past, nothing appears to come up on there either for the above related information. I don't have a subscription to find my past but thought something at least may have come up. Are there any suggestions for where else I may look for this information. I may have to resort to the Archives in Ireland.

If you go to the N.A. page and click on the FindMyPast link it takes you to the search page. Put in the name Joseph Graydon, search, and the 1st result seems to be the one you are looking for with 2 options to view records listed.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8862156
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 17 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Aghadowey...Thanks, I was able to get through the way you suggested.

Elwyn....Thanks. I have no clue what Denomination Joseph is, nothing on his death certificate indicates it but using your process I may be able to narrow things down a little. From the death cert his parents are James Graydon and Mary looks like Morton. I shall further investigate :)

Regards

lil

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
on find my past says he was a weaver.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

he got his pension 1.1.1819 have you check pension records.

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi rathmore

No, I haven't checked pension records for Jospeh, I will have a look on Ancestry for them, Thanks

lil

Offline James Stuart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=531032.18
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 May 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
i have a lil more info  on this post please reply

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile