Author Topic: ABERGWILY, John Jones b. 1862  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Welshrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ABERGWILY, John Jones b. 1862
« on: Tuesday 24 January 17 06:19 GMT (UK) »
I am having difficulty trying to discover more on John JONES b.1862 in Abergwily, Carmarthenshire.
He married in 1889 to Mary LEWIS b.1867 in Llanfyndde, Carmarthenshire.  He was sighted in the 1871 and 1891 Census but had died before 1901 as Mary is listed as a widow.  His occupation was a farmer.  They had 7 children: David, Dinah, William, Elizabeth, Magdalen, Jane and Rachel.  I realise it is a big ask with the above surnames  ;)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ABERGWILY, John Jones b. 1862
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family in 1901 living in Llanegwad, Carmarthenshire  but with John still with them??

John Jones 39 Farmer b Abergwilly, Carmarthenshire
Mary Jones 34  b Llanfynydd, Carmarthenshire
David Jones 11
Dinah Jones 8
William Jones 6
Elizabeth Anne Jones    4
Magdelen Jones    2

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 07:53 GMT (UK) »
If it is the right family and John died pre 1911 - the family were living in the Llandilofawr Reg District in 1901 and 1911 so given John's birth in 1862 there are a couple of deaths on FreeBMD that might fit.  The first one looks nearer nearer the age

John Jones age 42   1904  June Qrtr in LLANDILOFAWR  Vol 11A  Page 563

John Morris Jones age 45      1909  Sept Qrtr in LLANDILOFAWR  Vol 11A  Page 566

Added -However I can't see a burial  for him in 1904 in the parish of  Llanegwad

Offline Welshrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though you are right with the first John Jones thank you so much.  I read the 1901 wrong it should have been the 1911 Census that Mary was listed as a widow and so it all fits and yes you are right it is the same family and they had moved to Llanegwad.

Offline Steff

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
hello
I have recently come into possession of a maths exercise book dated November 4th 1816 written by a John Jones, possibly John Griffiths Jones, Spite, Llanfynydd. I realise that this is quite a while before the date of your search and Jones a very common name but I guess that Llanfynydd was a very small place at the time. I searched the name and place in Google and came upon your enquiry and it would be a massive but fascinating coincidence if this would have anything to do with your family history. Just wondering?