Author Topic: Epiphany Sessions 1832 John WEATHERSTONE  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Epiphany Sessions 1832 John WEATHERSTONE
« on: Tuesday 24 January 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »
I am asking on behalf of a friend who has some very hazy bits of information.

In the 1832 Epiphany Sessions of some court in Buckinghamshire, William Thomas BUCKLAND accused John WEATHERSTONE of theft, and got his name in the records. 

My friend wants to know if there is any record of a Catherine MORGAN working as a washerwoman (for Mr BUCKLAND . . I think.)
She seems to think there may be a census taken in 1831 in Buckinghamshire - I didn't know enough for sure to say there wasn't one  . . .  I know some parts of UK did have some sort of census before 1841.

Catherine MORGAN appeared in Australia to marry John WEATHERSTONE (in NSW I think) by 1836 and she seems to have a child with her by 1834  . . not sure if born in UK or Aus.

Any help gratefully received on this scant info.    ;)

Wiggy   
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphany Sessions 1832 John WEATHERSTONE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just confirming Wiggy's info, at least in part.

Various spellings for the husband’s surname in the NSW BDM index, but I offer the following marriage, registered in 1837 in the St Marys Cathedral’s parish registers and indexed twice in the Early Church Records at NSW BDM. Info as per NSW BDM online index
Catherine MORGAN and John WETHERTON,  Volume 127, line 756
Catherine MORGAN and John WETHERSTONE  Volume 128, line 657.
The indexes were prepared in the 1930s from the long hand entries in the (scant) records of the NSW BDM, so there’s likely transcription errors.

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search?12

I have not YET found Catherine MORGAN's origins  :)  ::) and I should be preparing the evening meal.

Fingers crossed this info will be useful.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
1837 NSW General Muster
Goat Island (it is in Sydney Harbour)

John WETHERSTONE aged 50, arrived per Westmoreland in 1835.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found the Buckinghamshire Epiphany sessions where John WITHERSTONE was up before the court and was aquitted.

May have found a birth for John and Catherine - hoping that Hereford is not too far from Buckinghamshire - no idea really but taking a stab in the dark.

Thanks for that info JM.   (That link doesn't do anything for me - I put in the info and out comes . . .  nothing.)

That shipping info looks about right doesn't it - thanks again.  ;) 
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Just found out  - John arrived in Aus in 1830-32 on Royal Admiral, as a convict.  Had been in Bermuda previously also as convict.

It is Catherine we are trying to trace mostly!
My friend has been looking for about 20 years, so she won't be surprised if you can't find anything.    ;)

However - nothing venture, nothing gain.
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Just for information, Buckinghamshire is far from Hereford, even though England is small country compared to Australia.

However.......the surname of Morgan caught my eye, especially the name of Catherine Morgan.  There maybe no connection at all, but I have Catherine A. Morgan in my tree.  Born c1856 in Bretton,  Flintshire, Wales, to John Morgan(c1819. Seaton, ? /Seacombe, ?, Cheshire, England) and Hannah Bellis(c1825. Bretton, Flintshire).
They married in 26 Mar 1842 @ St Oswald, Chester.

Catherine Anne Morgan, married George Graham in 1888 in Sydney, NSW.  He died in 1948, Liverpool, NSW.   Catherine died in 1936. NSW.  Precisely where, I have not found out.  Although she/they were living in Punchbowl, NSW in 1933.

Like I said, there maybe no connection whatsoever, but for John Morgan to name his daughter Catherine, there must have been a reason.  Could John Morgan be related to your Catherine Morgan.
Plenty of straws to grasp here, but worth a punt, I guess.

Steve. :)

PS.  I have cancelled my subs to Ancestry, so I have limited research capabilities to look further.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't know this family at all -  I am posting for a friend   ;) - but the dates seem all wrong to me so I don't think there is any connection.  There is some thought that This Catherine Morgan may have originally come from Ireland - the family have been searching for about 20 years so it isn't going to be easy I fear.

Thanks for the interest and thoughts though.   :)  I will pass on your interest just in case.

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking your friends Catherine Morgan, and my John Morgan(1816) is a possible connection.  Your friends Catherine Morgan, I would guess, was born around 1810 ish.

It is a stretch, I know.......but stranger things have happened. ;D

Steve. :)

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Wiggy, 

Perhaps you could gently suggest your friend revisits their research for John Weatherstone.   :)

The chap on the Royal Admiral (3) arriving Sydney in 1830 was convicted at Worcester,  4 March 1826.   He was convicted of Robbing a Waggon and sentenced to seven years.

His Certificate of Freedom was issued 11 March 1833 in the name of John WEATHERSTONE and is numbered # 143. The CoF shows
 :)  native place was Gloucester,
 :)  was born in 1806. 
 :)  5 ft 5 ½ inches tall, dark ruddy complexion,  brown hair, blue eyes,
 :)  scar on left cheek,  tattoos include a Man & Woman and JW inside lower right arm,  a Crucifix and two angles & a man inside lower left arm.

Does your friend have the information from the marriage cert, and if so did the clergy note (anywhere on the document, or on the original parish register) the name of the ship of arrival for either the bride or the groom, or any comment about F.S (free by servitude) or Bond, or permission of the governor, or any margin comments whatsoever. 

Again, I report that I have not found arrival of Catherine MORGAN to NSW or VDL.   Can you give the given name of the child with her in 1834 please, or at least an age or gender.   Perhaps she is recorded with a different surname.  In one of my files I think I have a list of surnames I checked previously for lasses with given name of Catherine/Catharine.... It might be for earlier decades, but it will have my handwritten note as to what resources I used to find the info I put on that list....

JM