Author Topic: Johnston of Castleraw, armagh Northern Ireland  (Read 2201 times)

Offline e1435

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johnston of Castleraw, armagh Northern Ireland
« on: Tuesday 24 January 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone could help me sort out the linage of my Robinson family and if there is a connection JOHNSTON. This is related to the following post:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=740980.msg5874614#msg5874614

However not strictly about the same family.

I have got George Robinson and wife as Mary Robinson (possibly nee Johnston, or Johnson)

They were married in 1841

They have a son Robert Robinson abt. 1851-1932 Ardmore, Armagh, Northern Ireland

George Robinson abt. 1806-1892  Ardmore, Armagh Northern Ireland

Mary Johnston abt. 1820-1889 Castleraw, Armagh Northern Ireland

My problem is that I don’t know if it is the right Mary who was married to George. There is a will of Robert Johnston 1787-1864 naming a Mary Robinson as his daughter and the dates work out reasonably well, but is based on assumption that this Mary of the Johnston family is our Mary Robinson. I haven’t been able to find any documentation.

Robert Johnston and his wife Sarah are buried in Friends Burial Ground, Richhill, Co. Armagh, and a lot of ancestors from other families of ours have a connection to the Friends Meeting house in Richill.

However, my doubt comes from finding another person with the Johnston family tree on Ancestry.com

This person states that Robert and Sarah Johnston had a daughter Mary that married a Robert Robinson (not a George Robinson as in my records), but there is no date, Adress or further info and I haven’t been able to contact the owner.

In this persons records, this Robert Robinson and a Mary (nee Johnston) had a daughter Mary Robinson (abt. 1850-1948) who Married and Isaac Stevenson (abt. 1844)

Now my questions is if our Marys are the same Mary i.e. Mary Johnston? In which case Robert  Robinson Sr and George Robinson are the same person, but used different names.

Furthermore daughter Mary b. abt 1850 and son Robert b. abt 1851 are siblings.

I haven’t been able to find any wedding announcements or documentation for the marriage of Robert/George Robinson to Mary Johnston.

It is a certainty that my Robinsons lived in Ardmore, but I would like to know if I actually have Johnston ancestry.

Sorry if this does not make any sense, can hardly make sense of it myself.

THANKS!

Offline Laurie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston of Castleraw, armagh Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Not sure if this helps however.
A George Robinson married a Mary Johnston.
Mary Johnston born 10/02/1803 was the daughter of James Johnston and Martha Burgess.
Mary died 15/05/1864.
I have five children listed, all girls, however there could have been male heirs.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston of Castleraw, armagh Northern Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 17 23:49 BST (UK) »
I have a lot on the family of Robert Johnson and Sarah Reed of Castleraw and I believe their daughter Mary was the wife of George Robinson of Ardmore but I don't have conclusive proof.

I would suggest focusing on the Robinsons who you know are your family and see if that might lead to a Johnson connection. George and Mary had a large family of at least 2 sons and at least 6 daughters and researching their descendants in detail may open up new leads and evidence.

I would discount that Ancestry tree with a Mary Robinson of Ardmore marrying an Isaac Stevenson. It was probably copied from Armagh Families by Thomas Stothers which I have found to be a good source but this time it's wrong. It says this Mary and Isaac had a son Joseph who married Anne Jane Neill. I traced this couple and found HER parents were Isaac and Mary while Joseph Henry Stevenson's parents were actually John Stevenson of Derrytrasna and Jane Robinson who was indeed a daughter of George and Mary of Ardmore. That document says that Joseph and Anne Jane's daughter married a distant Johnson cousin William J Green and names descendants. If you find that line you may find evidence of the Johnson cousin connection and they just got some names mixed up.