Author Topic: Bruce, Crighton, Fyvie, Mutch  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Gavin Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bruce, Crighton, Fyvie, Mutch
« on: Tuesday 24 January 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Currently I'm researching my Family on my Paternal Grandmothers side. I've some information on names and years as follows ...
Bruce's - Peterhead/Foveran/Ellon/Aberdeen 1800's - 1900's
Crichton's - New Deer 1830's - 1900's
Fyvie's - Tarves/New Deer 1700's - 1900's
Mutch's - New Deer 1800's - 1900's
Also McLennan's from Moray, Ross & Cromarty
I'm happy to share all my research, of which I am looking not only at the Family connections, but their residence, employment and any other interesting facts.
Wilson's of Fife & the Lothians
Bruce's of Aberdeenshire
Fell's of Lanarkshire
Dewar's of Dundee & Glasgow
Kay's of Glasgow & Leith & East Lothian
Dickson/Blair/Golightly of East Lothian

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce, Crighton, Fyvie, Mutch
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I have lists of the monumental inscriptions from Ellon and New Deer. If you want anything looked up, let me know. You have maybe seen these already.

Offline RWTaylor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I have George Crighton (1792-1873) in my tree. He married Margaret Brebner (1792 - 1897) and their gravestone is in New Deer cemetery. Their son Alexander (1821 - 1902) is my great-great grandfather. I have found that there are several potential spellings of "Crichton", including Crighton and Creighton, so following the trail can be a challenge.

RWT

Offline Gavin Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
If you have any inscriptions of Ellon & New Deer regarding the names I'd be grateful to see them. If you have them posted somewhere I'd like to find them TY

James Fyvie & Agnes Gibb, of Methlick, mid-1700s, but no dates for birth, marriage or deaths for far. (Known children: Alexander and James)
James Fyvie & spouse unknown, of Methelick, born 1770, no marriage or death dates
(Known children: Janet b-1796, James b-1797, George b-1799, Isabel b-1803, John b-1805, Peter b-1807, all born Tarves)
Alexander Fyvie & spouse unknown, of Tarves, born 1775
(Known children: James b-1801 and John b-1803 both Tarves)
Peter Fyvie married Isobel Elrick, 1841 Foveran, Peter died 1879 New Deer
(Known children: George b-1842, Isobella b-1843, John b-1846, Jean b-1848, William b-1850, Alexander b-1852, & Catherine b-1854 all in New Deer). Peter was a Farmer.

Alexander Bruce married Jane Norrie (no dates known so far)
(Only known child so far) Alexander Bruce b-1831 Peterhead married Isobella Fyvie in Aberdeen 1863
(they had 11 known children: Joan b-1864 Foveran, Alexander b-1866 Foveran d-1948, Helen b-1868 d-1946, Isabella b-1870, William Bruce b-1872 Ellon d-1934 Dundee, Peter b-1874 d 1955, Edwin b-1876, Robert b-1880 d-1976, Catherine b-1884- d-1976, Elizabeth b-1885 d-1848, John b-unknown)

George Crighton married Margaret Brebner (suspect bmd in New Deer)
Alexander Mutch married Isabella Brown (suspect bmd in New Deer)

David Crighton(b-1839 New Deer) married (1863 Auchreddie) Elspeth Mutch (b-1837 New Deer)
(Children: Jeanie b-1867 d-1959 Aberdeen, George b-1871, James b-1873,William b-1876, Charles b-1878, David b-1881, all New Deer)

William Bruce married 1863 in Aberdeen Jeanie Ann Taylor Crighton
Bruce's of Aberdeenshire
Fell's of Lanarkshire

Offline Gavin Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
TY RWTalyor, the spelling changes are a headache, but I've now taken a note of the variations you gave. Also TY you've given me dates for George and Margaret which I didn't have, have you their marriage details? Were they born & died in New Deer? Also can you share a picture of the headstone in New Deer? I also am collecting any information on their Occupations and Houses/Addresses/Farms etc if you know of anything. I didn't even have their son Alexander, Just David. George is my 3rd Great Grandfather, David is my 2nd Great Grandfather, therefore Alexander is my 2nd Great Granduncle.
TY I am elated.
Bruce's of Aberdeenshire
Fell's of Lanarkshire

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look and the only persons mentioned above with a recorded gravestone are the couple at New Deer mentioned by RWTaylor.

In memory of George Crighton Hillhead of Auchreddie d. 27 June 1873 aged 82.
His wife Margaret Brebner d. 14 Dec. 1887 aged 94. Their dau. Rachel Crighton d. 27 Apr. 1919 aged 85.

Offline RWTaylor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
George Crighton married Margaret Brebner on 16 February 1811 at New Deer. George Crighton died 27 June 1873 at Auchreddie, New Deer. His son David registered the death. His death certificate gives his occupation as "crofter". His parents were alexander Crighton and Jane Webster.

Margaret Crighton (nee Brebner) died 11 December 1887 (sorry, I mis-typed the date earlier) at Auchreddie. She died from "general debility" and David again registered the death. Her parents were Peter Brebner (farmer) and Mary Anderson.

I'll have to find the photo of the gravestone.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Gavin, if you click on this link it'll give you information on Alexander Mutch & Isabella Brown.
A very useful site for all Mutches!
http://www.mutches.com/fl.php?fl=A027
regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 17 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Spelling variants of Brebner include Bremner and Brember. I have also found people spelled both Bremner and Brymer, and I have also come across Brammer.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.