Author Topic: West families of Martock  (Read 853 times)

Offline Tavy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
West families of Martock
« on: Wednesday 25 January 17 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hannah Andrews (abt 1782) married George West (abt 1775) in Martock, Somerset in 1796. Can anyone tell me how many children did they have and was Hannah Andrews from Wedmore or was there another Hannah?
With thanks
Tavy

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: West families of Martock
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 07:30 GMT (UK) »
You have posted on the 'How to" board;  I have asked for it to be moved to the Somerset board where you might get some help.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I think that the Hannah Andrews who married George West on 1796 at Wedmore is much more likely to be the Hannah Andrews who was baptised in Wedmore on 6th September 1775 (See Freereg.org.uk). My reasons for thinking this are that the marriage is usually in the brides home parish, though not always of course, but primarily because the Hannah Andrews borm 1782 would only have been 14 if that was her marriage. Although that was technically possible, it is highly unlikely and the marriage record would have to say "with permission of parents" or suchlike.

Do you have anything more to go on?

Regards
Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Looking further with FreeReg, I notice that Samuel and Mary, children of George and Hannah West, were baptised at Martock on 13th April 1800, Mary being aged 2 at the time.

John, son of George and Hannah and born about 1812 was baptised at Martock on 7th August 1814, after George's death.

Added: Hannah's burial at Martock was 18 October 1823, aged 49, which is the right age for the Hannah Andrews I suggested in my last post

Regards
Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Tavy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 17 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AngelaR,
I am still not clear on the children of George West (1775-) and Hannah Andrews. (there seems to be two Hannah Andrews)
Of their children it is George West and Louisa Oram I am following the line, then their son Samuel West, then his daugher Elizabeth (1863-) who married Willoughby in Australia.
regards Tavy

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tavy

I've had another look and the only children baptised in Martock as the children of George and Hannah Andrews were the ones I've listed above - Samuel, Mary and John. There is no sign there of George and Hannah having a son called George. In fact, I can find no George Wests of around the right age to be Louisa's husband mentioned in the Martock registers at all!

Do you have evidence that your George, husband of Louisa, was George and Hannah's son? My thinking here is that one of the other West families in Martock, who didn't have their children baptised in the Church of England, might have been the parents of your George?

Regards
Angela

Offline Tavy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 17 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Angela, you may well be onto something there in that I noticed some records are from the alternative church, I shall check that out and get back to you.