Author Topic: Desperately seeking what happened to Harriet Farrand  (Read 4074 times)

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking what happened to Harriet Farrand
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Could you post details of the the Roberts family 71 and 81 as i could not pin them down to what i thought was the correct family.
Thanks Lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 February 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »

Roberts family on the 1871 Census in Manchester, Piece #: RG10/4054, Folio 14, Enumeration District 37, Page Number 22.  Roberts family on the 1881 Census in Manchester, Piece #: RG11/4002, Folio 36, Enumeration District 16, Page Number 65.

“Disclaimer and Warning”.  Of course, I could be completely wrong.  These may not be the Census Returns for the husband of Harriet Farrand, I have no concrete evidence to support that they are, I only have circumstantial evidence.  There were only two John William Roberts born in Manchester between 1861 and 1865, one of whom died within twelve months of being born.  On the 1871 Census, 5 Bratt Street, and on the 1881 Census, 85 Husband Street, were the only addresses in Manchester were a John William Roberts was living.  That John William Roberts was born in Manchester.

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 10 February 17 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello
The John William you have found on 71/81 census has mother Ellen whereas he names his mother as Sarah on marriage to Harriet
Lee

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 10 February 17 08:01 GMT (UK) »

It’s all very confusing.  The father on the Marriage Certificate was named “Sarah”, not the mother.  Does anyone remember “Big Daddy”, the wrestler?  His real name was Shirley Crabtree.

That’s why I love RootsChat so much.  I can speculate, in the knowledge that if there is any, “chink in the argument”, someone will pick it up and perhaps suggest an alternative.  Thank you Lee for your comments, maybe John William’s mother was called Sarah.

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 10 February 17 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello
All very confusing ,do you have the wedding certificate? I was going off lanc opc where it states grooms mother.
I have as i think you have too,been through every possible John and Harriet in the area and beyond using many possible variations of the names and still come up with nothing.
Will keep trying though.
Lee

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 10 February 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »

The original marriage entry can be found by Googling, “Manchester Parish Records”, click on “England, Manchester, Parish Registers, 1603-1910 – FamilySearch.org”.  Enter “Harriet Farrand”, Marriage, Marriage Place “Manchester”, Range of Marriage “1886 – 1886”.  Search.  That will bring up Harriet’s marriage to John William Roberts.  View the Image and you will see the original marriage entry.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 10 February 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I remember Big Daddy  ;D

Have looked up the marriage image and whilst it does say Sarah in the fathers name column there is a line through the occupation box.  This leads me to believe Sarah was his mother and he didn't know who his father was.  Why would the occupation box have a line through if it was a man? 
Man would have an occupation of some sort or deceased written there I would have thought.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 February 17 22:47 GMT (UK) »
There's a Harriet Roberts widow (clutching at straws here!) who marries in 1890 to a Frank Smith widower.  No fathers name given for her unfortunately.  His father is Richard Smith.

No the ages are way off - 39 for her  :(
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 February 17 06:12 GMT (UK) »
I cannot explain why the father’s occupation has a line through it.  I took this as meaning John William’s father was not in employment.  It is difficult to know, 130 years after the event, why something was recorded in this non-standard way.  If the 1881 Census found is for the right family, against John William’s father is the notation, “Out of Employ”.

According to the GRO Birth Index, there was no John William Roberts born to an unmarried mother in England and Wales during the 1863/64 period.