Author Topic: Robert Barker Darley/Rowsley  (Read 1189 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Robert Barker Darley/Rowsley
« on: Wednesday 25 January 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I think I am now at a standstill with this line, but am putting this query on here in the hope of a miracle!

Robert Barker is my 12 x ggrandfather. He was married to Lettesse and died in 1619. I have his will in which he names all his living children including Elizabeth bapt 1579 and Alys his eldest daughter born before 1579 (no trace of bapt). I am trying to trace his birth/baptism, or his marriage.

There are other Barker families living in the vicinity namely
Thomas and Marie Heathcote who had a son Robert but he was bapt in 1573 (so too young to be "my" Robert) and
Henry who married Joane Tipping in 1577.

I suppose it is possible that they were three brothers.
 I have scoured the Darley PR's and have looked through what is available online from the Derbyshire Archives. Can anyone suggest a way forward  or should I be thankful I have got this far back?  :)

whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Barker Darley/Rowsley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My suggestion would be to consult documents held at Matlock.

In their online catalogue:-
http://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/Overview.aspx

By searching "Robert Barker" you get lots of results however an item dated 1588 states:-

Acknowledgment by Thomas Barker of Hardwick, husbandman, of receipt of 20 shillings from Robert Barker of Darley, miner, for consideration money mentioned in a bargain and sale of a messuage, cottage and close in Darley, 22 Nov 31 Elixzabeth.

D504/48/2/1  is the reference for the above document, however D504/48 contains many deeds etc about various Barkers.

It is not possible for the record office to state everything contained in a document it is necessary to pay a visit. If this is your Robert then it states his occupation Miner, it may also give info as to how Thomas B of Hardwick is related to your Robert.

Apologies if you have already done this, not quite sure if you just searched on line or actually examined documents at Matlock.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Barker Darley/Rowsley
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 17 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this. I have seen the collection you mention online but haven't had the opportunity to visit the Record office itself.  I have seen the entry in the past but hadn't really recognised the significance of it. Methinks a trip to Matlock is the way forward.
I appreciate your help :)
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire