Author Topic: Burial in Sible Hedingham 1713-1717  (Read 602 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial in Sible Hedingham 1713-1717
« on: Wednesday 25 January 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If anyone has access to the burial registers for Sible Hedingham would they do a quick lookup for me please?
I have a Mary Thody who married Thomas Gibbs in April 1713, but her husband remarried in May 1717, so Mary must have died between those dates?
Helen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial in Sible Hedingham 1713-1717
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
The only death I can see in the time period requested in Thomas Gibbs buried 19 March 1716/17.

When Thomas Gibbs married Mary Thody 1713 they were both of the parish, whereas your other Thomas Gibbs was of Wethersfield both in 1711 and 1717.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I checked Wetherfield Parish records
Burial
Maria Gibbs 12 June 1716 (eu fuit weor) looks like,  Thomas Gibbs
I think could be wife of

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amondg
Many thanks for that, now I don't know what to think! I have discovered since posting the request that there was another Thomas Gibbs marriage in 1711 in Sible Hedingham, this time to a Mary Scott, as the abodes were the same I think that might match up as the earlier marriage of the one in 1717, the widower, rather than the one in 1713!

There's too many Thomas and Mary Gibbs events around and it's very confusing!
There is another Thomas Gibbs burial in 1747, another Thomas and Mary Gibbs marriage in 1752, two baptisms in 1714 and 1743 for Thomas and a Mary in 1716, and another marriage for Thomas to Hannah - and no way of telling which belongs to whom!

And that's without the two baptisms in 1737 to confuse the issue as they state that one is a late one from Thomas first marriage and the other from his second marriage to Hannah! But the only Mary Gibbs burial is in 1739 and Thomas married Hannah in 1736!!

According to FreeReg, Thomas in 1743 and Hannah in 1737 are Thomas and Hannah's kids with Thomas & Mary producing 4 between 1714 and 1722 and a late one in 1737.

So, from your reply I think Mary Scott is accounted for, and I think that the 1716/7 might be the 1714 baptism and the 1747 burial might be Thomas snr but all the others are difficult to match - this needs a fresh eye tomorrow!
thanks again
Helen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 17 07:27 GMT (UK) »
The Wethersfield Gibbs.
Essex Record Office has the marriage bond for Thomas Gibbs to Mary Whitehead 1717
ref: D/ABL 1717/47

I don't know if it will tell you anything more about them than you already know, its not digitized so I cannot read it.

Will of Thomas Gibbs of Wethersfield, Plumber written 1 April 1699, probate 2 August 1699.
Names wife Mary (of course)  who gets shop, cottages and messuages he owns and all the goods and chattels. Son Thomas, requests if possible at some time if he could purchase some of the property, he was also to get all the tools of his trade. Asks wife to see daughter taken care of, no name mentioned. It does say children that may be living at my decease. It could imply more children or that he hoped to live longer.   
Ref: D/AMW 10/281

Could this Thomas be the father of the 1711 and 1717 marriages abode Wethersfield? Do you have any reference that he was a plumber?

Sible Hedingham Gibbs
Final Concord dated 1779 between Thomas Gibbs and wife Mary, Arthur Clarke and wife Joanna and William Potter re 2 cottages, 2 messuages and a shop in Sible Hedingham and Stansted MountFitchet
Ref: D/P 109/28/4
other deeds ref D/P 109/22/6-10 and D/P 109/28/ 3,5.
This could be useful as its a transfer of property most times it states how they inherited the property taking you back at least one generation to establish the right to sell/ rent. I cannot guarantee it will though.

By the way there are a number of wills later years for Gibbs who are plumbers of Halstead, not too far away

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 17 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Better yet what do you know for certain, what child of a Thomas and Mary Gibbs are you tracing and what made you go to Sible Hedingham?

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that info, I think that rules out the Wetherfield couple being mine.

I came into this hornets nest as I was trying to find out if Mary Thody was related to John Thody and his wife Thomasine, because I found a marriage for them in Ridgewell in 1681 but no children. Thomasine died in May 1713 in Sible Hedingham and John remarried in Oct 1713 to Mary Daynes, with John dying in 1719 and Mary (Daynes) in 1744.

As Mary Daynes is my main line of interest, she married my husband's ancestor William Daynes (and needless to say I cannot find their marriage!), I think that I will have to put Mary Thody on the Unsolved pile for a while.
Thanks again